Need help getting Bluetooth going again on my PC

Last response: in Technologies
Share
September 10, 2004 4:49:04 PM

I am running Windows 98SE with a USB Bluetooth adapter and WIDCOMM
drivers. It had been functioning, even though on every boot I would
get a window titled "BTTray", saying "Unable to start the Bluetooth
stack service.".
Bluetooth stopped working, so I tried reinstalling the WIDCOMM
software. It installs fine. I still get the
error mentioned above on boot. I have the Bluetooth icon (white on
blue) in my Systray, but when I right-click on it, the only option is
"Start Using Bluetooth". A minute or so after selecting that option,
I get an error window titled "BTWIZARD" saying "Bluetooth device not
found. Please verify that your Bluetooth device is properly connected
and turned on." If I boot without the adapter connected I get the red
on blue icon. If I right click I have two options "Start Using
Bluetooth", and "Bluetooth device not found.". If I insert the
adapter, the icon changes to white on blue and the "Bluetooth device
not found." message goes away, but I still get the BTWIZARD window
message if I try to Start Using Bluetooth.

In device manager I have a "BTW" group with a "Bluetooth Device" entry
within it. If I look at the driver
file details I have:
BTWUSB.SYS 1.4.2.8 WIDCOMM
NTKERN.VXD 4.10.2224 Microsoft
FRMUPGR.SYS 1.4.2.8 WIDCOMM

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

More about : bluetooth

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 6:47:55 PM

I have similar problems on w98se and w2k.
On w2k I managed sometimes to get propper connection, but on w98
nothig goes right. Particularly I need to set up gprs dial up on w98
with the WIDCOM

hope someone here is an expert

Otto Sykora
bggbflxben@tzk.pu (ROT13)
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:58:21 PM

Hi All,

I had same problem with getting my billionton bluetooth usb adapter to
work after I installed SP2, but finally found this workaround on the
microsoft support website. I did Method 2 and it worked for me - good
luck!

Regards,
Sue McKoy
Melbourne Australia