jay

Newbie here so everyone exscuse me for any dumb questions. How do I remove
programs that startup when I first log on to windowsxp? I appreciate your
time...also got this OEM version of Winxp with my new PC. would I be able to
buy an OEM version of Winxp Pro and install it? or do I hafta have a non OEM
version to use an upgrade...I guess Im sorta thinking it would be upgrading
an upgrade, but I would like to be able to find something where my wife can
use Excel (that is what she uses at work) Anyway I appreciate your time

Jay

Hi

You can remove programs at Windows startup by typing the following from Start>Run:

msconfig

and then clicking on the startup tab. Programs that you don't need at startup can be unchecked and then you will have to reboot your system. Some entries in there may not be very easy to decipher, but the ones that are advisable to leave checked will be for your anti-virus program and Firewall - if you are using a 3rd party Firewall.

You can purchase an OEM version of XP - but OEM CDs will only perform a 'Clean' install of XP - meaning that everything on your hard disk/partition will be deleted. You can purchase a full retail version of XP - but at extra expense - but which will not have the restrictions of an OEM CD. Restrictions for the OEM CD include the first time that CD is installed it is 'tied' to that system and Microsoft does not support OEM CDs - you will have to contact the CD supplier for any help that you might need.

Any problems, please post back.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Jay wrote:
> heh sorry bout the posting...told yah I was a dumb newbie...so wasnt
> really sure how to do that cross posting thing...but anyway...have a
> good day hope I didnt make yah mad

There's something the others failed to pick up on. You want to buy *WINDOWS*
XP so your wife can use /Excel/?!

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> There's something the others failed to pick up on. You want to buy
> *WINDOWS* XP so your wife can use /Excel/?!

Oh, I noticed, but assumed that his wife used Office 2003 at work (Excel
2003), meaning she would need Windows 2000/XP in order to use it. =)

--
<- Shenan ->