Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 2600k vs i5 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 4:04:10 AM

strait for gaming price doesnt matter whats better both would be overlclocked to 4ghz

More about : 2600k 2500k

a c 117 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 4:18:36 AM

For gaming the 2500K is the go to cpu.
The 2600K doesn't better it = only in price
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 4:42:06 AM

im kind of new to the pc thing, would intel hd graphics 3000 over 2000 make any difference if your using videocards?
Related resources
January 5, 2012 4:48:39 AM

Using a separate video card disables the HD3000 IGP. So yeah, no deifference.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 4:53:49 AM

the core i5 2500k is a very good gaming cpu considering price and performance. for gaming, the core i7 2600k doesn't offer enough performance increase to justify getting it over the core i5 2500k. you can save money by getting the cheaper core i5 2500k and invest the money into a better psu/cooler/gfx card/motherboard/ssd/any other component.
if you use a discreet gfx card, the integrated gfx hd3000 will be disabled. hd3000 by itself is only good for playing older games and most games with settings turned to very low or lowest.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 4:56:36 AM

well im stuck at a standstill sorta, i want to build a system that will run bf3 crysis 2 and 1 all over 60 fps allday long maxed . whats the best setup of gfx card or cards i can get for 670$
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 5:02:52 AM

robthatguyx said:
well im stuck at a standstill sorta, i want to build a system that will run bf3 crysis 2 and 1 all over 60 fps allday long maxed . whats the best setup of gfx card or cards i can get for 670$

for gfx card info, ask in the graphics section. and use this form:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290969-33-advice-choo...
both core i5 and the i7 can run bf3 at max settings. bf3 isn't much cpu dependent so the core i5 should save you money and perform well. here's the cpu scaling page from tom's bf3 performance analysis article.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
you'll find more info in that article for on gfx cards. look into the comment section too.
January 5, 2012 5:03:29 AM

A GTX 570 SLI for that money would be perfect.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 8:00:35 AM

the hyperthreading in the i7 will probably lower your fps compared to the i5 if both chips were clocked the same.

games are not friendly software to hyperthreading.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 10:07:41 AM

esrever said:
the hyperthreading in the i7 will probably lower your fps compared to the i5 if both chips were clocked the same.

games are not friendly software to hyperthreading.

false!! i7 is the choice for both editing,converting,photoshop etc as well as for gaming i5 is the choice for gaming only if money is not an issue then get i7 you would be in benefit.

according to "anandtech" i7 is about 10% better

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 11:05:06 AM

as you have stated that money is not an issue
then i7-2600k or 2700k
you can turn off ht for game
hd2000 and hd3000 doesnot matter when using a dedicated graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 12:36:32 PM

BF3 and Crysis 2 are not that CPU dependent, so spending more on the graphics card will make more sense.
The 100$ price difference means that you can spend more on the graphics setup if you choose an i5 2500K.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 1:46:13 PM

as i7 is good for everything.
a c 188 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 3:56:33 PM

The Intel® Core™ i7-2600K is a very nice processor that has hyper-threading, 100MHz faster clock speed, and 2MB more cache than the Intel Core i5-2500K. The only problem is that when it comes to gaming all of these feature differences make very little difference in the overall performance in games. So you could get the Intel Core i5-2500K and take that $100 price difference and use it on a better video card or even a small SSD to match up with the Z68 and the Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) as a caching drive and get better performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 5:33:08 PM

xtreme5 said:
false!! i7 is the choice for both editing,converting,photoshop etc as well as for gaming i5 is the choice for gaming only if money is not an issue then get i7 you would be in benefit.

according to "anandtech" i7 is about 10% better

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
false what? your points have nothing to do with mine.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 5:42:22 PM

"you mention that hyperthreading will lower your FPS" how??
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 5:49:13 PM

cause it messes with the game scheduling and will cause cpu deficits. Hyperthreading has always been a nono to gaming, of course since the i7 has 4 cores which get scheduled before the hyperthreaded cores the performance hit is less than 1 fps but it just shows that more money != more performance in games.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/does-core-i7-hyper-threadin...

hyperthreading has been a useless thing in gaming since the 920 and you'd be better off without it. Since the only real thing the i7 have over the i5 is hyperthreading, buying the i7 and turning it off for games is kinda a stupid waste of money. The i7 only does well in editing software with lots of threads and lots of operations that could be done in 1 cycle instead of 2.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 6:02:45 PM

is that 15 percent or so really worth the extra 110 it if itd be at 4ghz?
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 6:03:45 PM

its not worth it unless you do heavy video editing.
January 5, 2012 6:12:23 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Intel® Core™ i7-2600K is a very nice processor that has hyper-threading, 100MHz faster clock speed, and 2MB more cache than the Intel Core i5-2500K. The only problem is that when it comes to gaming all of these feature differences make very little difference in the overall performance in games. So you could get the Intel Core i5-2500K and take that $100 price difference and use it on a better video card or even a small SSD to match up with the Z68 and the Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) as a caching drive and get better performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team




+1

I agree the 2500K is not that much slower then a I7 in games in fact its rarely a difference 100$ can get you a 6870 over a 6670!. Or hell i would rather get a H80 water cooling kit with my 2500K and OC the CPU to 4.4-4.6Ghz. Which would still be cheaper then getting a 2600K.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 6:30:07 PM

i havntheard good things about corsairs h series..i was looking at a h90 but then alot of pple showed me away to nactua fans or smthing like that
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 7:18:32 PM

maybe i shall reconsider one of these lol
!