First digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 8, 2005 8:46:53 PM

Hello all
I'm looking into buying my first digital camera, does anyone have the
Olympus C-170 as advertised in Argos for £99.99, 4m pixels, is it any good
? are there better cameras for this price suitable for a beginner.
I would just be taking general pics nothing too special.
Any help and advice much appreciated.

More about : digital camera

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:46:54 PM

"WestYorkshireman" <Westie@privacy.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
> I'm looking into buying my first digital camera, does anyone have the
> Olympus C-170 as advertised in Argos for £99.99, 4m pixels, is it any good
> ? are there better cameras for this price suitable for a beginner.
> I would just be taking general pics nothing too special.
> Any help and advice much appreciated.

I don't have one of these camera, but my sense is that
you can't go wrong with any of the top brands, and Olympus
is one of the top brands. It's going to have a decent lens
and produce good quality photos.

However, you should note that the camera has a fixed lens.
There is no optical zoom. The "digital zoom" advertised with
this and all other cameras is, for the most part, useless.

Having a zoom lens adds fun and usefulness to the camera.
But it does also add to the price.

Alan
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:36:00 PM

Couple of things to check when comparing to simarly priced cameras.

Price of memory cards. Type of battery. At that price range they will be
much the same in features and photo quality, go and handle the camera
yourself and make sure it suits YOU.

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "WestYorkshireman" <Westie@privacy.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all
>> I'm looking into buying my first digital camera, does anyone have the
>> Olympus C-170 as advertised in Argos for £99.99, 4m pixels, is it any
>> good
>> ? are there better cameras for this price suitable for a beginner.
>> I would just be taking general pics nothing too special.
>> Any help and advice much appreciated.
>
> I don't have one of these camera, but my sense is that
> you can't go wrong with any of the top brands, and Olympus
> is one of the top brands. It's going to have a decent lens
> and produce good quality photos.
>
> However, you should note that the camera has a fixed lens.
> There is no optical zoom. The "digital zoom" advertised with
> this and all other cameras is, for the most part, useless.
>
> Having a zoom lens adds fun and usefulness to the camera.
> But it does also add to the price.
>
> Alan

April 8, 2005 11:36:01 PM

"Go and handle" is important! I have two name brand cameras. Nothing wrong
with either of them but one is the size of a cigarette pack and I don't like
it in my big hands.

> Couple of things to check when comparing to simarly priced cameras.
>
> Price of memory cards. Type of battery. At that price range they will be
> much the same in features and photo quality, go and handle the camera
> yourself and make sure it suits YOU.
>

> "Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "WestYorkshireman" <Westie@privacy.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all
>>> I'm looking into buying my first digital camera, does anyone have the
>>> Olympus C-170 as advertised in Argos for £99.99, 4m pixels, is it any
>>> good
>>> ? are there better cameras for this price suitable for a beginner.
>>> I would just be taking general pics nothing too special.
>>> Any help and advice much appreciated.
>>
>> I don't have one of these camera, but my sense is that
>> you can't go wrong with any of the top brands, and Olympus
>> is one of the top brands. It's going to have a decent lens
>> and produce good quality photos.
>>
>> However, you should note that the camera has a fixed lens.
>> There is no optical zoom. The "digital zoom" advertised with
>> this and all other cameras is, for the most part, useless.
>>
>> Having a zoom lens adds fun and usefulness to the camera.
>> But it does also add to the price.
>>
>> Alan

April 9, 2005 3:15:07 AM

"WestYorkshireman" <Westie@privacy.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
> I'm looking into buying my first digital camera, does anyone have the
> Olympus C-170 as advertised in Argos for £99.99, 4m pixels, is it any
> good
> ? are there better cameras for this price suitable for a beginner.
> I would just be taking general pics nothing too special.
> Any help and advice much appreciated.

I am a little surprised no-one has suggested that Argos is not really the
best place to purchase a Camera.

You can not get "any hands" on time, or advice from knowleagable staff, and
that is very important when you don't know exactly what you want. Also the
prices are not all that clever, The digital market moves at such a pace,
that by the time Argos get their latest catalogue out, a lot of the models
have been reduced in price.

Go and have a look in a real Camera Shop like Jessops or a local dealer, it
is not guaranteed, but the staff should know something about the products,
and might give you some good advice. Jessops will nearly always match
price, if you can quote an advertised lower price for the Camera you want.
They might not price match against 7dayshop dot com, or Dabs dot com, but
they might go some way towards it.

A 3Mp or 4Mp camera is certainly good enough for most general purposes, but
nowadays you should get one with a Zoom Lens - an Optical Zoom. Digital
Zooms are just a useless gimmick.

Roy G
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:40:11 PM

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go down to Jessops and have a chat
with someone, I don't really want a camera without the zoom facility.

Cheers all.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:20:00 AM

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:40:11 +0100, "WestYorkshireman" <Westie@privacy.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the advice, I think I will go down to Jessops and have a chat
>with someone, I don't really want a camera without the zoom facility.
>
>Cheers all.

before you give up on Argos bear in mind they have a no-quibble 15 money-back
guarantee on 99% of their products - usually only excluding things like electric
blankets and electric toothbrushes (now there's a surprise). I've purchased
several items from them in the past - perfect for a try-out. Make sure you keep
the packing in perfect order and don't open their battery packs.

Returned an overpriced Ipod-mini to them a couple of months ago - no prob at
all.
!