New Gaming Rig Advice

Chizzad

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I'm looking at building a gaming desktop but could use some advice. I was thinking of going with the following:

PNY VCGGTX560TXPB-OC2-S GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $235

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400 $189.99

Currently at $550 and still need a case, RAM, power supply, and possibly some added/better cooling depending on what the recommended case is. If this can be a little cheaper would be kind of nice too, I'm not sure I need all the above exactly, basically would like to play SWTOR maybe BF3 on decent settings so open to any and all suggestions. I have a 23" LCD monitor that supports 1920x1080. Maybe a lower processor is a possibility to lessen the cost? I was hoping to not spend too much more than $600.

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Not that obvious. When you are new to building it can be easy to blindly just follow what someone says.

I like the choices. I don't know too much about the PNY GPUs. EVGA, MSI or Gigabyte are more popular choices. The prices are roughly the same as well.

Edit -- I just realized that you only have $50 left on your budget for Case and PSU. You don't want to cheap out on the PSU and a cheap case will still cost you about $50. You could step down to the 560, but for BF3 I wouldn't do that.

If raising the budget is out of the question, then maybe go the AMD route. I don't have that much knowledge on the AMD processors so I won't comment.

Good luck!

Chizzad

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Wow it's pretty obvious that is the whole point of this thread..... What would you recommend than for a mobo, and why is this one so obviously bad? It is 1155 slot, has usb 3.0, my research all recommended a p67, so what is wrong with this one? I wouldn't of posted on here if I knew exactly what to get, but your above post is probably the most unhelpful comment I have ever seen.

inanition02

Distinguished
He meant its obvious to change the mobo if you follow his advice of getting an amd cpu instead of intel. Because p67 is an intel platform and the amd cpu wont work. Your best bet is to look at the sbm pcs made recently. High end gaming isnt easy on such a tight budget. And quality psus and cooling is key!

Chizzad

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Ok, I took the "Wow, it's pretty obvious the OP should change the mobo too." meaning that the OP chose a horrible mobo, apparently I took the comment out of context....

I'll look at the SBM, I'm not looking for ultra high settings on BF3, really I want to be able to play SWTOR on very good settings and mainly just get 25+ fps on demanding games if possible. I would think for $650 I should be able to make this happen, and I know the parts listed above that I chose are a good base, but yah I was hoping to cheapen up on the case, RAM, psu, and I was going to use my existing 600GB hdd, monitor, speakers, keyboard.

No hard feelings :p

I'm positive the above SBM $500 build will do ya well.

edit: change the mobo to an AM3+ 900-series unit though

TRENDING THREADS