Sign in with
Your question

High end Build Advice and opinion required..

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2011 11:01:36 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This month (sooner rather than later in the month)

Budget Range: $2500.00 AUD After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Movie editing using Adobe Premiere CS 5.5 PRO, Gaming

Parts Not Required: PLEASE SEE LIST BELOW

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Australian sites (PC Casegear good for reference)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Quality stable brands (Intel/Asus/etc)

Overclocking: Yes (medium level stuff)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 preferred

Current Selection:

Case Undecided ?
Power Supply FSP Aurum Series 750W Modular Power Supply $139
Motherboard P8P67 Deluxe $219
Processor Intel I7 2600k Gen 2 $312
CPU Cooling undecided ?
Case Cooling Air type and number of fans required unknown ?
Memory 16gb 1600 mhz dual channel DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH (2x4GB) DDR3 x2 $260
OS/Programs Drive Patriot 120G Wildfire SSD SATA3 $289
Capture/work Drive 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Raid "0" $176
Render to Drive 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Raid "0" $176
Hard Drive 4 Nil N/A
Hard Drive 5 Nil N/A
External Storage NAS (existing not part of this quote) N/A
Controller On board Raid N/A
Dual/Quad Head Video ASUS GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II $539
Capture Device Nil N/A
DVD-RW LG BH12LS38 Optical Media (OEM) $99
Pro Audio Nil N/A
NIC On Board Intel Gigabit NIC N/A
Modem Nil N/A
Operating System Windows 7 64 Bit Pro $130
Software Nil N/A
NLE Software Adobe Premiere CS Pro 5 Already purchased N/A
Other Software Nil N/A
Monitor Samsung S23A300B 23in Widescreen LED Monitor $169
Keyboards Nil N/A
Speakers Nil N/A
Total $2508

I have been researching for a while now and have developed a shopping list and getting a little stuck with a few things as well as looking for a critical view of my selections.

The problem I have is I have already reached Budget and I still need CPU cooling case and case cooling and a case.... I need to understand whether it is better to dig deeper to satisfy the build or where I could cut back and keep the system balanced.

I am looking at a single card solution due to me wanting to use the cuda lines to the GPU.

I still have questions surrounding case, PSU and CPU and Case cooling.

I am also unsure as to whether I would be better going with the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock or the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked or even the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB as well as the MSI GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II Overclocked in lieu of the one on the above list?????

Advice on the RAM selected is also appreciated other options?? I was thinking the Corsair vengeance, however the tall heat spreaders put me off I would prefer to keep the CPU cooler options open.. I was interested in the new vengeance low profile, however they do not seem great for overclock (even though they are low voltage) and have fairly std timings compared to the Ripjaws selected?

Very excited with the prospect of this build, yet at the same time concerned I am blowing the budget as well as making a selection error?

I look forward to your thoughts and opinions
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2011 11:19:49 AM

You can save yourself money by doing the following:
1. Switching to samsung spinpoint F3 drives.
2. Go with a Gigabyte Z-68 UD3 Motherboard.
3. Buy windows home premium instead of Pro.

That will free up enough money for a cooler and nice case.
October 6, 2011 12:11:35 AM

Thanks Abekl

1. I have just been reviewing the spinpoints and it seems they get a really good rap in both performance and price :-. with this in mind I will be swapping out the WD's and putting in some Spinpoints to free up some cash :-)

2. In regards tot the MB I am fairly stuck on the Asus Dleuxe as it seems good performance for the price point with lots of OC opporunity and features... I am not very familiar with the Gigabyte range and it seems there is a myriad of Z68 UD3 boards, not sure which one you are referring to?

3. Interesting you suggest going with premium, I was advised on the Adobe forum and by a few IT friends that I would need pro... Unfortunately I do not understand why or what the main difference is I would benefit from?
Related resources
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2011 6:23:26 PM

jody64 said:

3. Interesting you suggest going with premium, I was advised on the Adobe forum and by a few IT friends that I would need pro... Unfortunately I do not understand why or what the main difference is I would benefit from?

The main difference between Pro, Home Premium, and Ultimate is this - with Pro, you can run programs in backwards compatibility mode, which you don't need if you're using current versions of Adobe anything. You also need Pro if you're using it in a corporate environment with centralized servers and that sort of thing, and Pro also has better functionality with MS Exchange servers. With Ultimate, you only need it if you're running more than 16GB of RAM, which you also don't really need. Even Photoshop renderings and plug-ins under a full load won't even come close to using 8GB of RAM, and wont even come close to using 75% of a full CPU load.

As for MB I really like Gigabyte, and the one that I'm using right now is the Z68XP-UD3P. What version of this board you use mainly depends on the extra features it has. If you use one set - it's the UD3H, if you use another it's the UD3P, and so on.
October 11, 2011 10:35:10 AM

Thanks G-unit1111 that is much appreciated.

that helps me understand the difference between windows versions :-)

The price I am getting the Asus boad for its worth grabbing the best non gamer specific board in the series and I am saving as its not Z68 (which I do not need).

Thanks again

JOdy
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2011 5:07:42 PM

No problem. One thing I will tell you is something that a lot of business IT pros refuse to acknowledge and that is that the best gaming hardware also makes the best business hardware, nothing's specific to one side or another.
!