Tom's Rating System - User Accountability

G

This morning I had been reading one of the News articles and the User Replies. Then a little while later I went back to read it over again and I noticed something which should not have happened.

Someone had gone through ALL the replies and given every reply a negative rating, even the positive comments.

So some comments which had a +1 were now at "0" while others were at -1

I have noticed stuff like this happen previously and also I have noticed both in the News section and in the forums that occasionally if someone dislikes someone else, they will sometimes mark a bunch of that users posts/replies negative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what I would like to see in the Rating System is User Accountability.

That is when someone rates someone's post negative or positive, their username becomes attached to that rating. If someone would like to see who did what for rating, they could click their mouse on the rating total which would bring up a list of who rated positive and who rated negative.

This way we could also keep track of trolls who think it's funny to rate someone negative for no reason what so ever.

We could tack the rating system one step further by requiring the user to give a reason for the Rating they decided to give.

I have seen this sort of Rating system feature on some other forums.

I agree it would be handy. For the life of me I can't remember who was always being voted down, but someone was and every thread I was in that it happened I went through and voted them up because it was obvious it was done maliciously.

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

This is a good suggestion. AFAIK, most voting systems do not have this kind of accountability. I will suggest some sort of vote flooding prevention. For example, you cannot submit more than 5 down votes per 30 minutes or something.

Justin

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
+1! Much better! :D
Thanks Justin (Another thanks will be posted after the feature add!)
BTW, What program do you use for coding the site? Or is it manual .html coding?

Again thank Justin (1.1!)

Medo

G

I've only seen a few forums where you could see who rated a post ( + or - ).
But only on forums running Invision Power.

They do have a lot of add on modules for Invision Power forums, a lot of which are written by third parties. It's been a while since I last looked at what is available, but I'm sure this was one of the add ons. If so, then maybe the module could be used to see how it works so something similar could be made for this forum?

It was DaSickNinja that had this happen, every post, every last one of them.

G

Having seen such a user accountability rating system in use, I can say that it's generally a handful or more members that usually behave in this sort of manner.

The good thing about such a system is that it help to keep such members in check by keeping them accountable for their actions and they could loose their rating privileges or worse, their ranking status.

G

I totally agree with your assessment of the situation which is why we need a user accountability rating system.

Everyone including the Moderators would be able to see who the trouble makers are.

So in effect, they would either refrain from such behavior or they would get punished with the punishment determined by how bad their offense was.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Well.. I took my time (and more) but I can't help.. It looks so complicated and I am still a beginner in the coding world..

Medo