Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP Photosmart Scanner Driver (XP)

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'd like to use my original SCSI Photosmart scanner on a new PC
running Win XP. I downloaded what is supposedly the XP "version" from
HP labeled "PhotoSmart Scanner (SCSI) and S20/S20xi Photo Scanner
(USB) Software". http://tinyurl.com/5lz3x

Has anyone had any success getting an old Photosmart scanner with the
included SCSI card to run on XP with this software? The page
describing the installation for XP http://tinyurl.com/4fgyb says an
updated driver for the Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI Host Adapter must
be downloaded from the LSI Logic site, 416w2k.zip. Apparently it's
not included in the HP package. Unfortunately LSI Logic no longer
seems to support the card since that file isn't there.

The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USB
converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 6:34:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
>really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
>doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USBI
>converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
>416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.


I have the model you have, the orginal Hp Photoscanner with the scsi
card, mine actually is so old it came with an ISA card and I upgraded
it to a PCI Scsi card when I had to, but I always ran a dual boot
because at the time there was no driver for Windows 2000. But that
all changed recently when I found the new software, I have only been
using it a few months. The new software is great, you can scan all 4
negatives at once and some other nice little things that were added,
so once you get it to work your really going to love it.

I don't remember what scsi card I have, bought it off Ebay for like
$10 about 5 or 6 years ago, but I didn't have to do anything special
like download drivers or whatever when I installed the new software.
If you haven't already, I would atleast try it and see if it might
work. Otherwise I just checked Ebay and there are a fist full of
cards you can buy for under $10. I am not 100% sure but I think this
is the card that I have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

Let me know how you make out.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:08:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:34:10 -0700, B&B Musmon wrote:

>
>>The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
>>really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
>>doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USBI
>>converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
>>416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.
>
>
>I have the model you have, the orginal Hp Photoscanner with the scsi
>card, mine actually is so old it came with an ISA card and I upgraded
>it to a PCI Scsi card when I had to, but I always ran a dual boot
>because at the time there was no driver for Windows 2000. But that
>all changed recently when I found the new software, I have only been
>using it a few months. The new software is great, you can scan all 4
>negatives at once and some other nice little things that were added,
>so once you get it to work your really going to love it.
>
>I don't remember what scsi card I have, bought it off Ebay for like
>$10 about 5 or 6 years ago, but I didn't have to do anything special
>like download drivers or whatever when I installed the new software.
>If you haven't already, I would atleast try it and see if it might
>work. Otherwise I just checked Ebay and there are a fist full of
>cards you can buy for under $10. I am not 100% sure but I think this
>is the card that I have
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
>Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, mine has the ISA card too. I'd like
to get this thing working for my wife in her new PC, a Dell 3000. I
appreciate the link and I'll give this a try.

Thanks.

G.
!