Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stuttering with new single GPU

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 5, 2011 1:22:33 PM

My mate has recently bought a Gtx 580 for his old build. Its got a q9550 cpu, 8gb with a 650watt cosair psu and hes getting stuttering that was not there with his old weaker gpu. Any ideas? His old card was an ati 4870. He has used drivesweeper to get rid of the ati drivers.

More about : stuttering single gpu

October 5, 2011 2:12:19 PM

Three Questions:
A] Did your friend go to his control panel to delete the ATI drivers just to be sure?
B] Did your friend install the proper drivers for the GTX 580????
C] Did anything else change???
October 5, 2011 2:45:46 PM

Yeah he did and hes tried the latest nvidia drivers and the beta ones. He changed nothing else. He has 2 wd blacks in raid 0, could they be causing the issue?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2011 4:13:33 PM

what is the model of his 650W PSU? whats the 12v amperage total? and how old is it?
October 5, 2011 6:26:29 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
what is the model of his 650W PSU? whats the 12v amperage total? and how old is it?


I'm not sure the model but its at least 2 years old. I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow and report back.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2011 8:37:35 PM

I ask because its possible his 650W is an older design that won't have the right amperage for the 580
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2011 9:23:26 PM

Screwy and Coffee asked good questions, and I'd add another: Can you run Furmark for 10 minutes watching temps with CPUID's Hardware Monitor?

Assuming he plugged in the necessary external power connectors on the 580, your mate's problem makes me think first of PSU, driver issues, and heat.
October 6, 2011 5:26:46 PM

Twoboxer said:
Screwy and Coffee asked good questions, and I'd add another: Can you run Furmark for 10 minutes watching temps with CPUID's Hardware Monitor?

Assuming he plugged in the necessary external power connectors on the 580, your mate's problem makes me think first of PSU, driver issues, and heat.


His PSU is about 3 years old now so its quite old. Its not the drivers, he's tried a few and removed the old ATI ones properly. He has made sure that he's plugged the right power plugs in. From what people are sayings its possibly the PSU. I'll ask him if he has a more powerful one to test. I assume with it being an old one it would have degraded over time as well.
October 6, 2011 5:58:40 PM

His GPU is a "Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail". Its not listed on the site he bought it from before but acording to a review I found it gives out 52 amps on the 12V rails. Wouldn't this be enough for 3 hard drives a Q9550 and a GTX 580? Could it really degrade that much over 3 years?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2011 6:30:43 PM

Dark Comet said:
His GPU is a "Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail". Its not listed on the site he bought it from before but acording to a review I found it gives out 52 amps on the 12V rails. Wouldn't this be enough for 3 hard drives a Q9550 and a GTX 580? Could it really degrade that much over 3 years?



the corsair TX650 *should* still be able to handle it. In fact it has a 5 year warranty. If there is a problem, you should be able to exchange it with corsair for a replacement.
October 6, 2011 6:34:01 PM

Yeah I would have thought his system would be taking more like 550 watts no where near 650. Looking around it seems other people had this issue with the 400 series. Maybe its a fault with the card. He's going to test it in a different PC when he gets the time, thanks for your help.
!