W.D. Caviar Black 1TB
16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3
EVGA 560Ti SSC
Creative Fatal1ty Xtremegamer X-Fi Pro
Thermaltake 850W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Problem

My soundcard was working fine until I shutdown my PC and started it the next day. Noticing I did not have sound, I restarted my PC and it worked fine. Went a few days and the issue occured again, this time I had to restart my PC multiple times until the sound returned. A few days passed, and I restarted my PC about 10 times and still no sound.

My onboard sound was always disabled. I tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling.. from old versions to beta versions. I used programs such as driver sweeper and CCleaner from researching similar issues.

I didn't think that my card went bad because I was able to get sound when I restarted, so I believe it is a driver issue on Creative's part.

I tried putting it in different slots on my motherboard and still no luck.

When I do have my soundcard in with volume at 100% in both the application and my system, I can hear the song I was testing very faintly, and the playback in the mixer goes up as if it were playing.

I am a gamer and I really like this card... I ended up forking out the cash for an Asus Xonar Essence STX but it hasn't arrived yet. I researched this card more and noticed people said it was much better in movies/music but lacking in games compared to XtremeGamer and Auzentech Forte... I believe I made the wrong decision in purchasing this card so I may end up returning it to Newegg.. and purchasing an Auzentech Forte unless I am able to fix my XtremeGamer.

Any solutions?
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 5:16:27 PM

Well, the fact the green bar is going back and forth would indicate the OS *thinks* the soundcard is getting the output. And you are only faintly hearing the output, its possible hte soundcard is actually dead...

As far as the Essence and gaming goes: anyone who claims a soundcard does better in games is clueless. Yes, the X-fi chipset is more optimised for a certain sound region [better bass, for instance], I personally prefer the output of ASUS cards for games. The Essence is frankly the highest quality soundcard on the market at this point in time. And you can tweak the EQ all you want to get the output you want out of it.

Also, the Forte, while capable, is getting on in years now. The Auzentech Home Theatre HD has a comperable feature set, though you pay extra for the HDMI in/outs. The Baruva (also from Auzentech) is the closest thing to the Forte, but lacks EAX 5.0 support [for whatever reason].
m
l
January 5, 2012 5:24:37 PM

That makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if it was dead, I have had it for quite a few years now.

Well once I receive the Essence I will definitely give it a shot. I figured I'd go ahead and buy one of the top of the line cards to futureproof myself a little. As long as it has as accurate or better positional sound than my Xtremegamer I will definitely be happy.

Thanks a lot for the info!
m
l
!