Usb Controllers And drivers are messed up!

Alpha032

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I uninstalled the video drivers the other day..... including the controllers (its a feature from amd)..... I reinstalled using a p2p keyboard. Problem is the usb drivers and controllers are not working properly, it says so in the device manager, but when I use the driver update there its says its up to date. I got in the bios and made sure that usb settings were set right, and they obviously are because i can use my mouse and keyboard in the bios. I tried to use the find and fix feature of windows 7.... it tries to fix the drivers and such, but it ends up failing. I was thinking of updating the chipset's driver, put the usb's work when I'm in the bios, which leads me to think there is problem or anomaly with windows 7 on my system. Any help or insight would be very helpfull. Thank you.

P.S.: Power is still running through the usb's when windows loads

Solution
All those "root hub" and "generic" entries are supposed to be there . Obviously the USB drivers were damaged some how

I can only speculate on what caused your problem . Maybe a software glitch , and also maybe a failing hard drive . One small section of the hard drive containing the USB drivers may have been damaged .

If you have some spare time on your hands try running chkdisk
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

Alpha032

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home....... now I just have to find that mouse my parents were using in the 90's

Alpha032

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

I did as you said. Windows tried to reinstall the drivers but it would fail. So I tried to install the chipset drivers anyways, and to my surprise it worked!!! And now there is a bunch of other entries under usb controllers, there is: "generic usb hub", and 10 "usb root hub"... Do you have any idea as to what happened?

And thank you for having tried to help.

All those "root hub" and "generic" entries are supposed to be there . Obviously the USB drivers were damaged some how

I can only speculate on what caused your problem . Maybe a software glitch , and also maybe a failing hard drive . One small section of the hard drive containing the USB drivers may have been damaged .

If you have some spare time on your hands try running chkdisk
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

Solution

Alpha032

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I ran chkdisk... no errors. I'm thinking it was when I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them it just didn't reinstall all the usb drivers properly.

Anyways, thank you for your help, you have been of great help.