jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a problem when I first boot up my computer. About 2 out of 3 times it wont boot properly. I hit the power button and all the fans and components come on, but it doesn't boot the monitor. Also, I have a razer naga, and it seems it doesn't boot up the same times when the monitor doesn't. But I'll try it a third or fourth time and Bam, monitor comes on along with the razer. Perfectly fine.

This computer was just built last month. But I am still using the same graphics card from my older build. My older computer actually began to do this as well, so im guessing it might be the graphics card messing the boot up?? I dont know. The graphics card is a HD 6850 Sapphire Toxic Ed. Please HELP! Thanks

System specs-
Intel i5 2500k
Asrock p67 extreme4
HDD: 1 TB WD and 500 GB WD
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
PSU: Forget the brand, but 620 watt
GPU: Sapphire Toxic Radeon 6850

battlemarz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
That motherboard has a debug LED on it. Take off the side of your case and watch it for what number it displays when it fails to boot.

Also, if it has a switch for a separate set of BIOS, try using one of those.

The fact that you don't know the brand of the PSU scares me. PSU is most important part of the PC, if it fails everything fails (and may start smoking).

Par for course is to disconnect and reconnect all cables to ensure they are secured solidly, remove and re-seat ram.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Actually, yes i did reuse the psu. Its about 2 years old, i think the brand is okio or okia. Something like that. I will have to open my case when i get home. And i will also look at what error its giving me on the motherboard when i open it.

Do you think its the psu??

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
PSU should go right off, you can get a AAA PSU for around 60 plus shipping. If you have a spare install it and see if the problem goes away. I have never heard of Okia, and thats enough reason right there that I would not install. Stay with the brand name, its priced that way for a reason. Although I have to say I have not had a logisys fail on me within the first two years.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I wouldnt think it was the psu tho. Because when it finally does boot up i have no problems at all. It doesnt make sense to me. But I dont know much about this kind of stuff.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

I just bumped up to the list of parts you have, that PSU has got to go whether its failed or not. You are risking more than just a dead PSU. The crappy the PSU the more likely it is to take other components with it when it blows. Been there, done that. Recommend Antec 550, or corsair or even thermaltake....

Think of the children!!!!!

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
So, I bought a new power supply from best buy. Its a Thermaltake 600w. Just put it in and same exact thing happening, took me 4 times to get it to boot. The only parts I reused from my last computer were the GPU, PSU, and WD 500gb Harddrive. Any more suggestions?

Its popping up all kinds of numbers on the montherbaord LED. Mainly 60, but also 98 and some others. Literally cant see them all it changed so fast. What next? lol I think it might be the graphics card. But I cant check due to this motherboard not having dedicated video. So I'm stuck

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
And also I just moved the ram to the other 2 slots. No luck, Took me one extra time to boot. When it doesnt boot properly the LED on the motherboard switches from 56, 46, 49, 32, and 60.

I've had strange boot-up issues with my Asus P8-P67, and based on that would suggest the following:

1) Uninstall all OCing utilities. In your case I believe its called AXTU and perhaps the ASRock Software Suite. And any other similar stuff installed.

2) Clear cmos. Belt suspenders and a rope approach: unplug, remove battery, press case power button 5 times, go grab a cup of coffee, re-install battery, and plug in.

3) Boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults.

Run that way for a while and see if the boot issues go away.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Ok, twoboxer. I just finished your steps. It booted fine the first time. I just shut it down, and im going to let it sit for a bit then try to boot it up and see if it works the first time. Some reason iv had this problem mainly after the computer has been shut down for a while... We will see if this fixed the problem. I will respond soon

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Well, I just tried it again. It took me twice to boot it up. Its so random, it happens mainly when I let it sit for a while being shutdown. But when I shut it down then power it back up immediately it works 95% of the time the first time. Its like something just fails to initialize, and it keeps giving me the numbers on the motherboard led 60, 56, 46, 49, 32 over and over again when it doesn't boot.

Everything else works on the computer 100% when I get it running. I'm on it now, it never shuts off on its own or nothing. I might get my friend to come over with his graphics card to see if its the issue. I would hate to have to get rid of my GPU! :(

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

By the way, Im keeping the thermaltake PSU even though it seems to not be the issue. You have scared me out of using my other one. LOL

Thanks for the quick feedback, and saving countless others doing what I asked you to do lol.

Re-reading your posts, the same problem existed in your old build, and there are thre common parts. You've swapped out the psu now, no change.

There's not much magic here - you've got two parts left to swap and its the most reasonable approach. Wait . . . is the mouse also a common part? It doesn't come on when you have the problem, is that a cause or an effect. if the mouse was on your old system, try swapping it out or booting without it.

If that fails, you're back to gpu glitching when starting cold or your HD not spinning up from cold.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
The mouse is new. It was not used with the previous system. The only other things are hard drive and GPU. But the hard drive previously used isn't the boot drive for this system. In fact it doesn't have anything on it right now, its just hooked up. So I don't think that would make a difference.

Worse case scenario I have to boot about 3 times when its cold. lol Its inconvenient but ends up working. I will post when I get my friend's GPU in my system. Its either that or maybe a faulty board or CPU not initializing sometimes. Thanks for all the helpful info everyone has been giving, will comment soon

Dogsnake

Distinguished
How old is your monitor? What type is it? Are you sure the machine is not booting or could it be a faulty mon. not displaying. There are capacitors that do go bad and not all at once. I have had similar things happen and it was the mon. in three of the cases. If you have a spare mon. about try it out and see if it makes a dif.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
So... I have taken the whole computer apart. All hard drives off and dvd drive off it still does the same thing. Same numbers flash on the led motherboard. I even took out the graphics card and it just powered up the motherboard alone with the cpu and ram and it has the same numbers. It took me about 5 times turning it on and back off to get it to boot up earlier today.

I didnt get my friends video card, but he is coming tonight with it. But it seems that might not be it either. Weird stuff... And im not a pro at this haha

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

The monitor is about 4 years old... So i have thought it may be the problem. I dont have another, but i might go use my friends. But i still dont think thats it because of those error numbers. Hopefully ill have a better update soon

Its a 22" lg flatron- lcd

For a "non-pro", you're doing quite well so far lol.

It seems we're very close to determining that the problem you are having is NOT related to a re-used part. If I've followed along correctly, its likely you've already shown the gpu is not the issue and you'll confirm that shortly with a swap.

The next step would be to consider a mobo/memory issue, eliminating the psu since we have had the same problem with two different ones. Newer mobos have introduced a lot of timing adjustments and optimizations done by the mobo via its BIOS. I've seen them "get confused" or make mistakes. Sometimes they get caught in a reboot loop, or just fail to boot, or tell you an overclocking has failed when you didn't OC it. IOW, their "Auto" settings are a lot more complicated now. This is the area I'd explore next.

Assuming the gpu swap doesn't fix things . . .

What BIOS version is installed on your mobo? Press F2 repeatedly during bootup to enter BIOS' and check the main menu, or use CPUID's CPU-z to get that info from within Windows. Asrock's website shows an almost monthly release of new BIOS versions, the latest being version 2.10 dated 9/13/11.

If you do not have the latest BIOS, download and install 2.10. If you have a small flash drive, use the instant flash approach. That may solve the problem.

If not, we're going to work through memory settings and see if we can't get the mobo to believe in itself and just boot lol.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Numbers that pop up on the led light on the motherboard, not the moniter. I guess there not all erorr numbers, but status numbers. I dont fully understand them, but I have looked them up. Numbers 60, 56, 46, 49, 32 just keep cycling through when it doesn't boot.

battlemarz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008

56 - Invalid CPU type or Speed
32 - CPU post-memory initialization is started
60 - DXE Core is started

I did not see listings for 46 or 49 in the manual, which I find odd. So i'm not sure if i'm looking at the correct stuff.

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Ok, I will try this after checking the GPU. Will update soon

jon88

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Why would it say invalid cpu type or speed??

battlemarz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008

CPU may have been released after mobo and the motherboard could need an updated BIOS. Although it surprises me that it would boot in any fashion if this is the case. I'm suspicious of the ASRock manual.