Sign in with
Your question

Want to run Apples Lion and Windows 7

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2011 6:55:50 PM

im in the process of building a new gaming rig and i was wondering if its possible to run both operating systems on the same machine. on boot up i want to be able to choose to run Lion or Windows 7. each one would have there own separate dedicated HDD. the reason for this is my fiance is a design major and refuses to use a PC. and i dont want to buy 2 separate computers. especially since Apple is so overpriced.

Also what effects would there be on the computer. would i lose performance with games?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2011 7:21:58 PM

Its definitely possible , but I believe hardware selection is critical since apple has a limited range of drivers for hardware . They only use a small range of hardware in their computers so they dont bother to supply drivers for anything else .

Ideally tell your fiancee to get his/her own computer IMO
m
l
October 6, 2011 6:20:50 AM

The easiest way to achieve what you are looking to do would be to buy something like an iMac and look up a tutorial on how to dual boot it into OSX or Windows 7.

I hear creating a 'Hackintosh' is usually a frustrating experience, and usually not rewarding unless you follow a guide, including strict recommendations for parts.

Dual booting won't affect game performance. If you installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine from the OSX environment you would lose a little bit of performance, and would possibly need more RAM.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 10:36:33 AM

the one thing i wanted to avoid is having to by a mac. i just cant bring myself to spend the money on a mac when you can build a PC with the same specs for half the price.

i guess i dont fully understand how OS's work. if the the OS's are installed on separate hdd why is it so difficult. if install one HDD, instal windows on it. than remove the windows hdd. put in a new hdd and install osx. wouldnt it essentially be like installing on a blank slate? and just assume i have all the compatible parts, and lets say 16gb of ram
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2011 11:28:42 AM

the apple OS needs graphics cards that apple support .

That rules out your gaming graphics card in the same computer straight away
m
l
!