Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU question Smart people Only

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2011 4:10:24 PM

Where do GPU get there there memory? Does the RAM really share the memory on the GPU? I have 2.8ghz dual core with 2gb ddr2 and I was planning to buy a 1gb GPU but If it shares 1gb a few is left should i add more RAm?

Best solution

a c 1324 U Graphics card
a c 232 } Memory
August 4, 2011 6:16:21 PM

Welcome! I guess you came to the wrong place since this site is full of hardware idiots (nerds)!
Discrete GPU cards have dedicated Vram on them and do not share system ram like Integrated graphics! If you buy a card with 1GB the card will have 1GB and your system ram which is totally unrelated will still be 2GB!
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 4, 2011 6:39:41 PM

If it used your system memory, then it would not be a 1gb video card, it would be 0gb video card.

1gb of video memory means 1gb of video memory, not 1gb of system memory.
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 4, 2011 6:42:42 PM

geekapproved said:
If it used your system memory, then it would not be a 1gb video card, it would be 0gb video card.

1gb of video memory means 1gb of video memory, not 1gb of system memory.

Do you not know of the cards that are/were advertised as say a 512MB card but they only had 256MB of RAM themselves and shared the other 256MB with the motherboards RAM?
August 4, 2011 6:46:06 PM

GPU's would come with Vram (virtual ram) that is preinstalled in their hardware, hence they are dedicated to the video card for carrying out the visual processing of your system. On devices, for example laptops, they would come with integrated video cards, that share your computer's RAM, hence adding more RAM for that scenario may be beneficial for overall system performance.

If you buy a video card with 1 GB of VRAM, it will be dedicated for gaming, using the Windows Aero effect, movies, etc. You will still have your 2 GB of DDR2 system ram for programs.
August 4, 2011 6:48:39 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Do you not know of the cards that are/were advertised as say a 512MB card but they only had 256MB of RAM themselves and shared the other 256MB with the motherboards RAM?

Even the dedicated video cards come with the ability to share your system RAM and use as shared video RAM, but because you will be getting a 1 GB video card anyway, you would not need to share your system RAM. remember, system ram is going to be slower than your VRAM on the video card, if shared.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 4, 2011 6:57:00 PM

badboyzasr said:
Even the dedicated video cards come with the ability to share your system RAM and use as shared video RAM, but because you will be getting a 1 GB video card anyway, you would not need to share your system RAM. remember, system ram is going to be slower than your VRAM on the video card, if shared.

Yes I know that, do you think you are trying to teach me something here? :heink: 
August 4, 2011 7:07:01 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes I know that, do you think you are trying to teach me something here? :heink: 

Sorry, tagged the wrong post.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 4, 2011 8:02:16 PM

Certain low end cards will have dedicated ram and also share system ram.
Nvidia calls it Turbo Cache and ATi names it Hyper Memory.

August 5, 2011 5:32:58 AM

Best answer selected by leoqaz.
August 5, 2011 5:46:58 AM

rolli59 said:
Welcome! I guess you came to the wrong place since this site is full of hardware idiots (nerds)!
Discrete GPU cards have dedicated Vram on them and do not share system ram like Integrated graphics! If you buy a card with 1GB the card will have 1GB and your system ram which is totally unrelated will still be 2GB!

Are you one of them ^^? What site do you recommend ? THanks
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 4:17:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!