X8 / x16 PCIe situation

My previous thread got closed for bumping it.

I guess I'll try and make this one a little shorter and clearer.

So here goes,

My computer used to have 2x GeForce 9800GT (512mb) in SLI. One died.

I've been running with one for a while and it works fine, but now I want to upgrade.

So I bought this one : http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41125&CatId=3669

Now, my question is :

My computer, I believe, does have the required PCIe x16 slot for the card, but I've read on multiple sources that the slots are connected via x8 cables. It's a Dell XPS 630i.

Now, is this x8 thing going to be an issue ? Can I use this card in my pc and should I be worried about the performance because of the x8 ?

Thank you very much for your answers.
16 answers Last reply
More about pcie situation
  1. newegg do currently have that card for cheaper:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

    although if you can afford it i would reccommend the better AMD/ATI 6850:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

    no the x8 bandwidth restriction would not be an issue at all with the cards your are looking at even on high end cards, i cant find the specific article i was looking at previously but this article also shows the minimal difference:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/16/sli_cfx_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x16x8/2

    so about a 0.6 frame difference.

    remember to uninstall all older drivers completely before installing the new graphics card! Also you could use that working 9800GT as a dedicated PPU in the second PCI-E slot.
  2. The performance loss from running in a x8 slot is very minimal.Usually it's only about a 1-5fps loss on average.Even a x4 slot isn't that bad with only a 10fps loss.
  3. purple stank said:
    The performance loss from running in a x8 slot is very minimal.Usually it's only about a 1-5fps loss on average.Even a x4 slot isn't that bad with only a 10fps loss.


    depends on the card.
  4. It was somewhere in Tom's they did a review of it.If I can just find it.
  5. purple stank said:
    It was somewhere in Tom's they did a review of it.If I can just find it.


    yeah same, thats the article that i was looking for.
  6. I found it!!!

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling-p67-chipset-gaming-performance,2887-4.html

    People used to make x4 slots seem like their horrible.They don't seem bad at all.
  7. Awesome. Thanks for your answers, appreciate it !
  8. ps3hacker12 said:
    newegg do currently have that card for cheaper:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

    although if you can afford it i would reccommend the better AMD/ATI 6850:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

    no the x8 bandwidth restriction would not be an issue at all with the cards your are looking at even on high end cards, i cant find the specific article i was looking at previously but this article also shows the minimal difference:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/16/sli_cfx_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x16x8/2

    so about a 0.6 frame difference.

    remember to uninstall all older drivers completely before installing the new graphics card! Also you could use that working 9800GT as a dedicated PPU in the second PCI-E slot.


    Do you know of any guide on how to do this ( dedicated PPU )
  9. Here is an older article on the subject, one that tests the P55 and x58 platforms. What is interesting is the P55 is hit MUCH harder with x4 than the x58 is. This may be more relevant to older hardware, which you do have.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-pci-express-scaling,2517-4.html

    In either case, x8 is good still. x4 may vary from one platform to the next.
  10. Can't you use the 9800GT as a PhysX card with the GTX550ti?
  11. Kirouac said:
    Do you know of any guide on how to do this ( dedicated PPU )


    yes:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/physx-by-nvidia-review/3

    the 6850 and a 9800GT should make a great combo. But the 550Ti although weaker will still perform well.
  12. Are you sure you mean the 6850?
  13. There is the GenL hack that let's you combine AMD with an Nvidia PhysX card.
  14. Is that a 100% thing or is it hit or miss?
  15. purple stank said:
    Are you sure you mean the 6850?


    yeah, i forgot to mention this guide helped me with settingup an ATI card + dedicated 8800GT card:
    http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/508305-howto-ati-nvidia-physx-guide.html
  16. purple stank said:
    Is that a 100% thing or is it hit or miss?


    I've never heard of anyone not able to do it. I've done it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product