default path for saving & opening

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to change the default path when you go to open a file?
It always goes to my docs, which I don't use for most things. I know that
can be overridden in some programs, but the default for the overall system
would be nice to change.

I'd also LOVE to be able to change the 'My Documents' button on the left
side of the 'file open' window to something else - but that's probably
asking too much, right?

I tried to map a drive so that I can at least click the folder I want in a
quick drop down method, but it disappears with every reboot.

Ah well. If anyone here can help with these little but constant annoyances,
I'd SURE appreciate it:)

TIA,
Mary
1 answer Last reply
More about default path saving opening

    Get the Powertoys for Windows XP at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and
    specifically get TweakUI.
    There is a section on Common DIalogs that lets you changed the icons on the
    left side in Open/Close dialogs.

    hth

    george

    "Mary E. Hill" <mary@NOamericanSPAMrecycler.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to change the default path when you go to open a
    file?
    > It always goes to my docs, which I don't use for most things. I know that
    > can be overridden in some programs, but the default for the overall system
    > would be nice to change.
    >
    > I'd also LOVE to be able to change the 'My Documents' button on the left
    > side of the 'file open' window to something else - but that's probably
    > asking too much, right?
    >
    > I tried to map a drive so that I can at least click the folder I want in a
    > quick drop down method, but it disappears with every reboot.
    >
    > Ah well. If anyone here can help with these little but constant
    annoyances,
    > I'd SURE appreciate it:)
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mary

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP