Motherboard drivers question

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i got a win 7 sp1 disc sitting to install on the 25th, my question is do i need to install motherboard drivers or can windows handle it?

i only installed it once about 2 years ago, and had a driver disc in hand, i dont have a disc this time though, and my motherboard doenst give me 1 installer, it appears to be 30~40 ish installers

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#specifications

im looking for the disc, as i believe that would cause the least problems, but can windows handle it or do i need the drivers?

Windows can't handle this. Not all of it anyway.

The web is giving u the latest drivers, so take them!

bucknutty

Distinguished
Chances are the windows install cd will handle every thing. I have always found that the drivers windows installs are good enough for most users.

I strongly recomend you down load at least the realtek network card driver and put it on a cd or a usb thumb drive before you begin the install. That way if you find win 7 was unable to install some drivers at least you can install your network card and get back on the internet to go to the asus site, or run windows update to see if there are drivers on line for the missing bits.

The Asus ACPI power-bios driver is often a pain in the butt so you will probablly have to search the asus site for that driver, but you wont know until you hit the device manager after the install.

Also I always get the newest video driver from AMD, Nvidia or intel depending on who makes your graphics card.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i just looked through it a bit more in depth and realized much of that is older version of the drivers.

now let me write this a bit

what is qualified vendor list?
bios and bios utilities im not going to touch
what is the chipset driver?
each of the audio is just a newer version correct? if thats the case than im just going to install the newest version
what is the vga drivers? i have hd 5770, do i need them if im going to install the newest or close to newest ati driver?
lan ill just get the newest version of that.
can someone who knows more about it go through utilities and others and tell me what i need/could use as i have no idea.

im still looking for the cd though, but incase i cant find it, ill need some help, and even if i do find it, im installing the newest audio and lan drivers.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
qualified vendor list is only a list of ram and ram manufacturers that have been tested on the board and verified as working, get all the latest drivers sound, chipset, lan, usb, graphics, sound and aything else which has not been listed.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I would get the network card driver only. put it on a USB stick
Run windows install.
Go to device manager and see what is missing. Chances are every thing will be working. If not install the network card driver and then get on line.

Run windows update. MS keeps thier driver lists more upto date than asus does. As soon as a board hits end of like Asus stops posting drivers. So if you want the newest you will need to go to the individiual componient makers sites.

The Sound chip is a VIA
The network card is a realtek
The chipset is an AMD
The onboard graphics is AMD (same driver as your 5770)

Then go to the AMD site and get the newest radeon driver.

You dont need to waist time and effort sorting through all the old drivers that Asus has posted when windows update will do a better job.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
so, just so im clear, windows update will get most if not all of what my motherboard needs?

i found the install cd, and i have the network driver on a flash drive.

wondering if i should install the motherboad disc at all or just let windows go to town on it.

if i install the drivers from motherboard disc, i am guaranteed that i have everything necessary installed, and windows can update from there, or will windows not update something because it already sees it?

Just install the Windows, run the update if u can get on the internet, if not, install the network driver only and update.

TRENDING THREADS