Sign in with
Your question

Need advice and critique on my build (noob here)

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2011 7:27:39 PM

Hi, this is my first time using these forums (sorry if I didn't post this in the correct section).
I'd like help with my PC build.
My budget? Well, I just want it as cheap as possible and under 1000£.
Here is what I have so far:

Computer Case Cooler Master Sileo 500 - Silent
CPU Intel Core i3 2120 (2 x 3.3GHz) 3MB
CPU Heatsink Corsair Cooling A50
Memory Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (1x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 6790 - 1 GB - (Sapphire) - (PCI-E)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3-B3 (Intel H67) B3
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Networking Edimax Wireless LAN 300Mbps (PCI)
Power Supply Cooler Master 500W PSU - Low Noise
Hard Drive #1 WD SATA-II VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM 16MB
Optical Drive #1 Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM - Black (SATA)
Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
Backup Software Restore DVD & Original Operating System DVD
Monitor #1 18.5" Widescreen TFT - Black - 5 MS
Keyboard Standard Slim Keyboard (PS/2)
Mouse Standard Black Optical Mouse (USB)
Speakers Standard Black Speakers

My questions & other things:

Is everything compatible?
I'm looking for a silent, good PC. I also added standard sound proofing which is foam that stops noise and vibrations coming from the fans and stuff.
Would this be a silent PC?
As for the hard drive, I have heard that the WD SATA-II VelociRaptor is a bit unreliable. It's fast, but can cause problems so I'm wondering if I should switch to the 1TB Western Digital WD10EARX Caviar Green Quiet SATA 6Gb/s IntelliPower 64Mb Cache 8ms HDD which is about 45£ cheaper. Is it worth doing so? Is this 1 TB HDD good and fast and reliable? Also, what is the RPM on it because it didn't state it in the description...? It just says IntelliPower on the RPM, what does that mean?
Is the motherboard OK?
Will the Networking wireless card be good? It's the fastest wireless card on the list. I would've killed the Killer Pro gaming card but it's not wireless and I don't think I'll be able to connect with wires because of housing issues.
Should I upgrade to 8 GB RAM?
Is the case good enough?

I'm using it for gaming, browsing, photoshop.
The games are mostly MMOs (the most powerful one being probably Vindictus) but I'll also play FPS's and HL2...

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interested in learning about hardware and this is my first custom build PC that I'm going to buy.
I'm planning to buy from www.computerplanet.co.uk
October 5, 2011 9:09:03 PM

Wow ok lots of questions... LOL

1. COST and NOISE : Yes its a pretty good budget build but you have invested money in many of the wrong places.

The motherboard for example is a place to save. Since you will not be overclocking or using the Crossfire function on that board you might as well look at a micro-ATX board (which are cheaper).

The CPU heatsink is also unnecessary as the Intel Stock cooler is very quiet as it is. Rather use that cash to get a really quiet powersupply from the Silent Pro Coolermaster series for example.

2. GPU : I would suggest rather looking at an HD6770 (it has better value for spec). The ASUS HD6770 Vapor-x edition is one of my all time favorate GPU's as it is great value for money and quiet.

3. MEMORY : The memory is perfectly fine. XMS 3 RAM is cheap but good enough.

4. HDD : IntelliPower means it cycle automatically between 5800rpm and 7200rpm depending on the currect load. I am not a big fan of this technology and my suggestion would be to go for a WD Caviar Blue.

5. WIRELESS CARD : I have no experience with Edimax products. I would suggest D-link or Airwave. Just get one that is Wireless N (300Mbps) compatible and it is fast and stable enough. Nothing else matters.

6. CHASSIS : Coolermaster has brilliant chassis, just be sure that the insulation (which I don't approve of) does not hinder the airflow in the Chassis.
You could also consider looking at a bottom-mounted-PSU case as they transfer vibration/noise to the ground better.

7. COMPATIBILITY : Everything is hundred percent compatible!!!

LOL

October 5, 2011 10:49:52 PM

Novuake said:
Wow ok lots of questions... LOL

1. COST and NOISE : Yes its a pretty good budget build but you have invested money in many of the wrong places.

The motherboard for example is a place to save. Since you will not be overclocking or using the Crossfire function on that board you might as well look at a micro-ATX board (which are cheaper).

The CPU heatsink is also unnecessary as the Intel Stock cooler is very quiet as it is. Rather use that cash to get a really quiet powersupply from the Silent Pro Coolermaster series for example.

2. GPU : I would suggest rather looking at an HD6770 (it has better value for spec). The ASUS HD6770 Vapor-x edition is one of my all time favorate GPU's as it is great value for money and quiet.

3. MEMORY : The memory is perfectly fine. XMS 3 RAM is cheap but good enough.

4. HDD : IntelliPower means it cycle automatically between 5800rpm and 7200rpm depending on the currect load. I am not a big fan of this technology and my suggestion would be to go for a WD Caviar Blue.

5. WIRELESS CARD : I have no experience with Edimax products. I would suggest D-link or Airwave. Just get one that is Wireless N (300Mbps) compatible and it is fast and stable enough. Nothing else matters.

6. CHASSIS : Coolermaster has brilliant chassis, just be sure that the insulation (which I don't approve of) does not hinder the airflow in the Chassis.
You could also consider looking at a bottom-mounted-PSU case as they transfer vibration/noise to the ground better.

7. COMPATIBILITY : Everything is hundred percent compatible!!!

LOL

Thanks. So for the heatsink I should just go with the Low Noise Intel Heatsink and Fan?
Also, for the motherboard the cheapest, worst one there is the Asus P8P67 LE (Intel P67) - B3 which is just 1.90£ cheaper and has 1 less PCI-E port. I'm not planning on upgrading in the future so I just wanted a motherboard that is just sufficient, nothing above but I didn't know if there would be enough ports for everything so I was choosing to pay 1.90£ to make sure.
As for the PSU noise, I could pay a service which would make them put noise-reduction foam in the casing and also give me a Silverstone acoustic power supply cover "to reduce PSU noise with minimal airflow obstruction". Would that be enough?
GPU - I thought that memory bit rate was the most important thing in a GPU, and the 6790 has 256 while 6770 only has 128. Could you explain to me why 6770 is better please? ^^
Related resources
October 6, 2011 8:37:52 AM

Strange that you have such a limited Motherboard selection. I was thinking you could try P8H67-M. Anyway.

Yeah most of the time the Bit rate determines performance, but actual performance differance between 6790 and 6770 is minimal.
You could always read some reviews.

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/amd/sapphire_radeon_hd_...

The 6770 has a faster memory clock and core clock, which is more importent.

The Vapor-x version is also unlocked for easy overclocking.
October 6, 2011 5:44:19 PM

I see, thanks. I'll follow your advice then. If you'd like to add anything, go ahead ^^
I don't want to overclock anything; I'd rather get powerful enough hardware for a bit more money since I'm planning to use this computer for the next 10 years or so.
October 6, 2011 8:50:06 PM

In 10 years!? Uh...

I5-2500K
Radeon HD6950
16GB RAM

Withe the above you might just make it for 6 years............
October 6, 2011 8:58:15 PM

Ok
the i3 2120 is an 2100 with better graphics . Since you are fitting a graphics card dont pay more for onboard graphics you wont use

Get a 2 x2 gig kit of RAM so it runs in dual channel . Instant 6% performance increase across the board . Make sure the RAM is 1.5 volt

Velociraptor hard drives are noisy and they are slow compared to more recent models . The Samsung F3 is the fastest conventional drive . 500 gig or 1 terabyte .

get a bigger monitor
October 7, 2011 6:16:18 AM

The i3 - 2120 also gets higher rated manufactured chips... So its worth getting it for abit extra.
October 7, 2011 5:51:18 PM

I may have over exaggerated on the 2 years thing, but then again I'm sure an i3 will be enough for what I'm using my PC for.
Monitor size doesn't bother me. It's 1.5 inches bigger than what I have now anyways.
As for the processor, these are the i3s available:
Intel Core i3 2100 (2 x 3.1GHz) 3MB
- £ 40.01

Intel Core i3 2100T (2 x 2.5GHz) 3MB
- £ 31.16

Intel Core i3 2120 (2 x 3.3GHz) 3MB
- £ 21.69

The prices above are just the reductions from an i5 2300 (4 x 2.8GHz).
Should I just get the i5 2300 for 21£ more or the i5 2400s for 26£ more? Is it worth it?
Thanks for the dual channel ram tip, didn't know ^^
Also, I've noticed a difference in price between 8 GB 1333 MHZ (2x4GB) - (DDR3) and Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3). Is there a value difference between these? Is the Corsair one better for some reason? It is 4£ more expensive. Or is that just because it has a lifetime warranty?

About the HDD:
Could someone check here and tell me which HDD I should pick? I've followed a previous advice to look at the WD Caviar Blue but it doesn't convince me much : http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/intel_h67_p67/st...

Again, thanks for all your help guys.
October 7, 2011 9:10:04 PM

Yes the extra money for the I5-2400 is worth it if you think you will be using it.

As for the XMS3 RAM, it is heatsinked, so it lasts longer and and is abit more stable with a lower voltage. So for that little extra, get it.

All corsair RAM has a lifetime warranty.
October 7, 2011 10:04:15 PM

I see, I'll get an i5 then.
As for the HDD I'm thinking about the OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD. Velociraptor is just too noisy as I found out.
Any tips, critique or things I should know about the OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD?
October 7, 2011 10:20:57 PM

Novuake said:
The i3 - 2120 also gets higher rated manufactured chips... So its worth getting it for abit extra.

it gets more graphics . Thats all .

the T model is a low power variant , and is clocked slower so not suitable for a performance computer
October 9, 2011 5:33:30 PM

Just need advice on the HDD now please!
Any tips, critique or things I should know about the OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD?

October 9, 2011 7:13:56 PM

SATA-3 is the way to go. Especially on SSD's. Consider a OCZ or Corsair SSD.

SATA 3 and a 400+ read/write speed.
!