/ Sign-up
Your question

New keyboard keys type nearby letters

  • Laptops
  • Keyboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 5, 2012 4:44:37 PM

About a month ago I spilt pepsi on my laptop and had it sent for repair. I got it back today and it had a new keyboard installed, among other things. But, the new keyboard is not functioning correctly.
A bunch of the keys type nearby letters, instead. E.G typing "a" gives "aq1", "b" gives "bgt". It seems to type the letters vertically above.
Is the new keyboard faulty, or does it need calibrated or something?

More about : keyboard keys type nearby letters

January 5, 2012 9:59:04 PM

Either the PCB is defective or the repair facility did no work on it.
January 5, 2012 10:04:03 PM

sounds like they didn't replace the keyboard and just cleaned it or something.
Related resources
January 5, 2012 11:19:04 PM

Enigma, what is PCB?

I have a number to call for the repair place, so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Thank god for the on-screen keyboard!
January 5, 2012 11:44:22 PM

PCB stands for printed circuit board. It's the backbone to alot of computer components, from motherboards to keyboards. If you take your keyboard apart, you'll see a PCB with contacts for each key. I'm suspecting that it is faulty or something is causing nearby keys to be activated when a specific key is pressed.
January 5, 2012 11:57:21 PM

Ahh. Cheers. It must be something underneath, like you say. I took a few of the faulty keys off earlier to see below, but there's no dirt or dust.

Honestly, you'd think this would be the first thing they'd check after installing a new keyboard - that the keys work!