Need to decide- 1080p monitor+ gtx 560 ti OR GTX 580 and 900p monitor

Trying to decide. I currently have a 900p monitor and can either get:
A GTX 580 for $300 off craigslist(EVGA, no warranty, he bought a system with SLI and is selling one of the two because he doesn't need both) Will be used with my current 1440x900 monitor that won't be upgraded for a while.
Or
A PNY 560 Ti OC and an Acer 1080p monitor from newegg for $320 total.

I want this upgrade to last as long as possible and don't want to SLI so I will be replacing the 560 Ti or the 580 with a single card when it starts to get slow.

I play Shogun 2 and will be playing Battlefield 3 and want to max it.
12 answers Last reply
More about need decide 1080p monitor 900p monitor
  1. Its easier to get that gtx 580.. then save up $120 and get a 1080p resolution screen..

No point in getting the screen now with a card that is nowhere near as good.. hell you wont be able to enjoy the 1080p screen to its fullest. Get the gtx 580 and then get a new monitor down the road.
  2. If your motherboard supports SLI at x8 or better, I'd recommend 560 ti's in SLI. They'd be faster and cheaper than a 580.

I do normally recommend single GPU's over dual, but if you want 580 performance, a 580 is awfully expensive for the performance.
  3. phishy714 said:
    Its easier to get that gtx 580.. then save up $120 and get a 1080p resolution screen..

No point in getting the screen now with a card that is nowhere near as good.. hell you wont be able to enjoy the 1080p screen to its fullest. Get the gtx 580 and then get a new monitor down the road.

Thanks! Think its still a good idea with no warranty?
  4. Oh, didn't notice the Craig's list inquiry. I personally feel uncomfortable buying a card off Craig's list. I never know if it's been abused or even works.
  5. bystander said:
    Oh, didn't notice the Craig's list inquiry. I personally feel uncomfortable buying a card off Craig's list. I never know if it's been abused or even works.

Yeah, that's the hard decision.
  6. its not like thats really an issue though, a graphics card can be put under full load for 4 years before starting to wear out. Its wether or not they dropped it/physically damaged it mostly.
  7. Well if I were you, I wouldn't give this person selling it a penny until you have had time to stress and test the card. Either you guys set up a time when he can come over and you fire it up and put it under stress to make sure it works or you set it up somewhere else. That's alot of freaking money to throw on something that may or may not even work.

You would be stupid not to make sure of it.
  8. That whole thing with the craigslist/no warranty sounds a little fishy (or is it Phishy?).

How about a compromise? 570s run around $300. Get a 570 and then get a 1080p monitor at a future date?
  9. I would not trust any part bought from an individual from E-Bay or Craigslist....period.
  10. i bought my EVGA GTS 450 SC off eBay for only £50 and its still running great to this day (just under a year ago), i do like eBay thanks to eBays great customer services, ive never bought off craigslist so i wouldn't know (my 2500K is from eBay too £138 :D)
  11. Okay, ill think about it long and hard. I'll stress it very well for sure. My system will be 100% assembled when I tell him to bring it over.
  12. it may not sound like it but a GTX 580 is way way faster than a 560ti 1600x900
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Monitors Graphics