[Closed] Sounds like a jet engine

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello there, I'm new around here so I hope I post this in the right spot.

Well today I finally got my new case fan to work on my old desktop. The new problem is that it's way to loud! Along with it telling me CPU0 Fan is Out of Range, and after a while my CPU usage just climbs to 100% and shuts down without even a blue screen. It mostly seems to happen right after startup or after an hour of using the computer. The Bios gives me CPU0 Temperature as the reason for shutting down.

My computer is a Dell Dimension E520, most it is stock from '07 I've only added a second HDD and a small fan attached to the heatsink. The new fan is a Delta AFC1212DE-PWM. The old fan was a Nidec BetaV TA450DC and according to Nidec's site does not exist.

I've tried downloading a few programs that allow me to reduce the fan speed to something reasonably but they either can't pick up the fan or don't work at all. One thing I should mention is that in order for the fan to fit into the motherboard I had to remove all the wires from there plastic connectors (Nidec had a 5-prong but only 4 wires, and the Delta used a 4-prong connector which is to fat to fit) and fit the new wire into the old connector.

My computer is also telling me I'm not allowed to update the bios when ever I try because the configuration is wrong.

What can I do to turn do the fan speed?

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Oh, sorry the fan connects to the motherboard. I also tried that before posting the question. It did not work though.

Well this question is now kinda no use to me as I was messing around with the wires in the case and accidental plugged my fan back into the motherboard while the computer was turned on. Now the computer won't turn on but every now and then replacing the power cord turns on one of the fans turns on.

For reference the old connector is one of these

http://www.redplanettrading.com/images/D/5PinPower_800-03.jpg

And the new one is like this

http://cdn.overclock.net/5/5f/5f4b2cc8_vbattach127331.jpeg

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the help, it must be the capacitor right next to the connector. Now all I have to do is either find out it's a cheap fix (I would think so since my tech teacher told use the were 50 cents a piece) or buy a new pc right after getting a job.

I guess this thread is closed.