Nvidia 560ti + 780i + Q6600

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Hello

I recently upgraded my GPU and used a friend's XFX 780i SLI Motherboard. Put in my Q6600 GO and OC to 3.45 GHz. However, when I ran the Crysis benchmark for GPU, my average FPS was averaging 28.5 Fps. The video card is made by Gigabyte and it is the 560 TI OC version with clocks of 900/1800/4000. The monitor resolution is at 1920x1080, Windows 7 RTM x64 and the latest nVidia drivers installed. Is there a huge bottleneck going on, or is the motherboard holding back the maximum throughput of the GPU?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
badboyzasr

Do you even have a clue as to what the frame rate should be for a GeForce GTX 560 Ti running Crysis at 1920x1080?

Have you actually monitored the CPU and GPU load to determine where the bottleneck is occurring?

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

What graphics settings were you using?

What was your GPU load during the benchmark? Was it at 100% most of the time?

There's your problem.

The reviews use 4x AA and yet you are expecting the same frame rates at the 16x AA that you are using. That's not going to happen.

Try doing an apples-to-apples benchmark comparison and see what results you get.

bucknutty

Distinguished
That sounds about right. My Q9650, 8gb 800mhz ram with a GTX470 did 34FPS with all graphics aa and af on the highest settings, on a clean install of win7 with a clean install of crysis.
I did not use any super-ultra graphic moded configs.

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

I did as you told, and it only made sense after reading it, but my average is still hitting about 27.14 fps on 5 loops, 4xaa and all maxed out. That is about 10 fps less than the benchmarked systems. Going to buy a second 560Ti and check the results, if not, then i guess it will be time to upgrade the whole system.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Was the GPU load maxed out at 100% when you were running the benchmark? If it was under 100% then you most likely have a CPU bottleneck.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
yeah i believe you have a cpu bottleneck too. 75% is kinda high for a game that is only optimized for 2 cores. 2 cores that is if we are talking about the original crysis. if so sounds like something else is going on in the background too.

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Hello, so I am running a SLI setup now and everything else is the same, but My average FPS in Crysis was itself 35.45 on 5 loops, same settings used earlier, not satisfied. My max GPU load was 88% and 91% and the max CPU load was about 68%, as running in parallel to my dual monitor setup at 640x480, and running MSI afterburner, Windows task manager, Nvidia monitor and Core Temp. It only happens so in crysis that I get low FPS, all other games have shown better performance and the SLI scaling has been about 1.9 with them now. I am guessing the game just doesnt like my rig.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Lower all the graphics settings as the take off a lot of the load from the gpu. if the frame rates do not go up much it is a cpu bottleneck most likely. you also have a low resolution (1280x960?) which puts an even higher load on the cpu.