Closed Solved

Help Choose a AMD CPU

I'm going to be building a new gaming rig soon, and was looking at a number of different AMD Phenom II quad core black edition processors. From what I've heard, the 955 black edition is a great choice. However, what I wanted to know is how much better other processors such as the 965 and 970 would perform in games such as Skyrim. Are they worth the extra money, or should I just stick with the 955. I will probably be using a Radeon 6850 with whatever CPU I get.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choose
  1. Best answer
  2. +1 960T. Best AMD CPU on the market right now.
  3. Honestly for $100 you can get a FX-4100. It may perform slightly less than 965 (in windows 7) but it does overclock to 4.6 if you desire. Win7 doesn't work efficiently with BD's architecture so we should see a 15-20% improvement in Win8 or possibly a new Win7 service pack.

You can also get a AM3+ motherboard starting at $55. Throw in 8GB of DDR3-1600 and you got your self a AM3+ quad core ,mobo and 8gb ram for $175-185. Unless your running 2 or more high end video cards, it's going to perform just as well as other more expensive cpu's.
  4. I would even say that the 960T from AMD offers the best bang for buck on the CPU market at the moment, because of its hidden potential.

The AMD secret.
  5. Best answer selected by chub11.
  6. thanks for the advice guys, think I'll be getting the 960t, even though I have to say for $100 the fx-4100 is a great deal.
  7. Make sure to get a motherboard with UCC

it lets you unlock the extra cores
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Processors Product