Video card failing when reaching 70 degrees

slabs007

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hello, Could anyone please give me advice on why my graphics card is failing when I play games? ( This does not happen on all games, but mostly with Dirt 3,fear 3) I did a gpu stability test using "furmark" and when i run the test the display on my monitor would go off and my pc would freeze when the tempreture hits 70 degrees celcuis or beyond (ctrl-alt-delete and everything else won't work) and when I play dirt 3 for like 10 minutes it would do the same thing but the sound would go in slowmo for a second or two and then its normal again! I inserted one of my friends card (geforce 9800 GT) in my pc and ran the test and played the games and everything would work just fine! All my drivers are updated and I have a sufficient power supply! The gpu fan is also running at 100%( Changed it using RivaTuner) so I really don't think its anything else other than my video card! My card is a Geforce GTS 250

could be your power supply. GTS250 did use more power than 9800GT. before this i have GTS250 powered by generic PSU. sometimes i got total freeze in crysis. have to hard reset my PC when it happen. after replacing my power supply with the better one the freezing problem totally gone

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Also had a GTS 250 prior.
Thing is a power hog and gets hot.
Could easily be a PSU problem.

Although, I had a Pentium D and my GTS 250 running on a stock 375w PSU. Both parts were energy hogs that loved to get hot. Never had any problems though...

What are the specs for your PSU? Or better yet, do you know the model?

slabs007

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

MY PSU is a 'Gigabyte GE-P585A-C2' Peak Wattage is 585W