Sign in with
Your question

Sound Crackling With Multiple Configurations

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2012 9:38:38 PM

Hello TH,

I have been experiencing an issue where my sound crackles. It usually occurs when I watch a youtube video un-maximized, or when I am running more than one program (for instance SWTOR + Dota 2) or when I alt tab.

I thought it was my headset. I had a Logitech G930, and at the time that I had it I was running it I had no sound card and on board sound was disabled. I was running on the G930 USB sound card alone.

Now, I have returned the G930, thinking it was defective (they didn't have a replacement for me) and now I hear the same crackling on my placeholder headset. I now have an actual Soundblaster sound card installed, and the onboard sound is again, disabled. It also happened on iPhone head phones.

I FEEL like it might be nVidia's audio drivers that they force you to get with their display drivers. However, when I had the G930, I disabled them and still encountered the problem. I almost feel like it's a CPU problem? Like programs with sound aren't getting enough memory? I don't know. I'm only mildly competent in the field of troubleshooting. I have been gunning at this problem for months, and now I have resigned to ask for help.

Could it be motherboard? I reset it to factory defaults last night and no change.

My computer is:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Processor 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
nVidia GTX 560ti (EVGA Superclocked edition)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality some-such
Windows 7 64 Bit
OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Corsair 750W Power Supply

I am losing my mind. Thanks in advance :cry: 

::EDIT:: Fun fact, the sound works perfectly in Battlefield 3, and works in Skyrim until after a 2-3 hour session when it starts to crackle.

Also, something that happened with the G930 that led me to further believe it was defective. Sometimes when I would plug the cable into the headset to charge it, it would turn all of my computers' peripherals off. Requiring a restart. The computer would still be on, and the fans would still be running/lit up.
January 5, 2012 9:41:11 PM

Did you connect your headphones directly into the sound ports on your motherboard or through speakers?
m
l
January 5, 2012 9:44:17 PM

The old headset was USB. The one right now is plugged directly into the sound card.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 9:42:39 PM

I have the exact same headset, exact same problem. I haven't tried any other audio source but now when the computer is busy doing a lot, or something not particularly taxing like streaming video it will crackle.

Have you found a solution?

My motherboard is different, running an old nvidia 9600gt. Machine is 4 years old now.
m
l
July 30, 2012 9:53:45 PM

If all else fails try going to the program properties -> compatibilty -> disable desktop composition which forces windows aero to disengage when you run the program. This stopped the popping/crackling from my video card (nVidia 8600M GT).
m
l
!