Which motherboard for my new setup?

dmlk

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hi All

I am at the point where I need to upgrade my PC and my old AMD 939 chipset. Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with FX-60 that has served me well. The reason is when loading Win 7 64bit all was fine until I put the drivers on for my creative X-Fi fatal1ty and I had issue with popping and crackling. I know this is down to the nforce4 on my motherboard and drivers.

My main needs are SLI (for the future) and I want to reuse my creative X-FI fatal1ty. I hope to not have the popping and crackling issue when I upgrade.

I am planning to reuse the following:
- 1000 Watt PSU
- Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
- ATX Case - Silverstone TJ105
- 1x 1TB WD Cavier black
- 2x 400GB WD

I am looking to get the following:
[CPU] - Intel Core i7 2600K
[GFX] - 1x GeForce GTX 570
(With a view to get another in the future as money is tight at the moment.)
[RAM] - 8 GB

[Motherboard]
This is the part I am not sure about. I want to be able to ensure that I have a good board that will at least last me 5/6 years. Also I wish to run SLI as a max so will not need three or four way SLI.
I have seen for me there are two type P67 and Z68. I am swinging towards the P67 but not sure.

I know that Z68 is a newer P67 with two main extras. (discrete graphics card and SSD caching). I do not think I am will ever be using these so am not sure if Z68 is worth it. Saying that I wanted a board that will last me 5/6 years so should I be looking at that board type?

I plan on getting a good CPU cooler and overclocking the 2600k.

I am looking at the following motherboards:

[P67]
MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1

Not sure if the ASUS a better board than the MSI?

[Z68]
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

I did notice that ASUS P8Z68-V Pro has 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 which could work well for my future SLI.

Can people recommend good boards which are similar to these?
Or if I should be thinking about other items in relation to my upgrade?

I have been looking at the bundles on this link:
http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles

Intel P67 Chipset - Overclocked Bundles > Radius
- Intel Core i7 2600K
- MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
- 8GB
Comes out at around £470

Intel Z68 Chipset - Overclocked Bundles > Edge
- Intel Core i7 2600K
- ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
- 8GB
Comes out at around £518

I guess my main worries is upgrading and getting the crackling and popping sound again!! I would not want that at all...

Hope to hear from you all.