dead dreamcast? repairable?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

I think this is the newsgroup I've been on on the past with people who know a
little about repairing Dreamcast problems. Mine appears to have died, but I'd
like to resurrect it if I can. At first it was getting flaky loading games (1
in particular), then last night it would freeze on the "Dreamcast" Screen most
of the time. You could hear the disc spinning slowly, but without the usual
noisy access sounds. I opened the case to see if the gears were jammed or it
was something else I could fix. I couldn't find anything wrong, so I put it
back together. Now when the power button is pushed the light flashes for a
second, then nothing. I've checked all the (few) connections, but can't find
anything loose. I seem to remember someone mentioning a fuse or breaker of some
sort in the Dreamcast, but I can't find anything - and the light shouldn't come
on at all if that was the problem anyway. Anyone have any ideas? I know it
would probably be easier to get one off of ebay, but money's tight at the
moment.

Thanks,
Bert

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hknabejr wrote:

>I think this is the newsgroup I've been on on the past with people who know a
>little about repairing Dreamcast problems. Mine appears to have died, but I'd
>like to resurrect it if I can. At first it was getting flaky loading games (1
>in particular), then last night it would freeze on the "Dreamcast" Screen most
>of the time. You could hear the disc spinning slowly, but without the usual
>noisy access sounds. I opened the case to see if the gears were jammed or it
>was something else I could fix. I couldn't find anything wrong, so I put it
>back together. Now when the power button is pushed the light flashes for a
>second, then nothing. I've checked all the (few) connections, but can't find
>anything loose. I seem to remember someone mentioning a fuse or breaker of some
>sort in the Dreamcast, but I can't find anything - and the light shouldn't come
>on at all if that was the problem anyway. Anyone have any ideas? I know it
>would probably be easier to get one off of ebay, but money's tight at the
>moment.
>
>Thanks,
>Bert

Your DC is repairable. Just depends on whats wrong. Places like
http://www.Lik-Sang.com have whole drives, fans cases & control bits.
True for $20 -40 bucks you could just get another Which is why I have
two now. It seems like maybe the drive is going on you. Let's see what
others have to say?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Despite all prevention efforts, hknabejr@aol.com (Hknabejr) wrote in

> I think this is the newsgroup I've been on on the past with people who
> know a little about repairing Dreamcast problems. Mine appears to have
> died, but I'd like to resurrect it if I can. At first it was getting
> flaky loading games (1 in particular), then last night it would freeze
> on the "Dreamcast" Screen most of the time. You could hear the disc
> spinning slowly, but without the usual noisy access sounds. I opened
> the case to see if the gears were jammed or it was something else I
> could fix. I couldn't find anything wrong, so I put it back together.
> Now when the power button is pushed the light flashes for a second,
> then nothing. I've checked all the (few) connections, but can't find
> anything loose. I seem to remember someone mentioning a fuse or
> breaker of some sort in the Dreamcast, but I can't find anything - and
> the light shouldn't come on at all if that was the problem anyway.
> Anyone have any ideas? I know it would probably be easier to get one
> off of ebay, but money's tight at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
> Bert

I had something similar happen with my DC a while back. After some
looking, I followed the instructions at this site, and now it works great
again:

http://shibathedog.stuffhosting.com/GDROM_Align.htm

--
Slor

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

<< I had something similar happen with my DC a while back. After some
looking, I followed the instructions at this site, and now it works great
again:

http://shibathedog.stuffhosting.com/GDROM_Align.htm

Thanks to both of you for the links. I tried the instructions at shibathedog,
but it didn't do any good. the way it's acting, I think it's the power supply.

I have one more question, though. There is a sticker under the power supply
that says to only use the same type and rating of fuse. I've taken my dreamcast
entirely apart, and I can't find anything that I can say for sure is a fuse.
There are a couple of things soldered to the powersupply board that might be
fuses, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know where the fuses are?

thanks,
Bert

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Try cleaning the contacts where the pins come in to the molex connector on
the motherboard. It's a white molex with a header on the motherboard if
memory serves.
Remove it, use some rubbing alchohol and clean the pins and contacts.

That fixed mine with power issues. Been fixed for like a year now.

"Hknabejr" <hknabejr@aol.com> wrote in message
> << I had something similar happen with my DC a while back. After some
> looking, I followed the instructions at this site, and now it works great
> again:
>
> http://shibathedog.stuffhosting.com/GDROM_Align.htm
> >>

> Thanks to both of you for the links. I tried the instructions at
shibathedog,
> but it didn't do any good. the way it's acting, I think it's the power
supply.

> I have one more question, though. There is a sticker under the power
supply
> that says to only use the same type and rating of fuse. I've taken my
dreamcast
> entirely apart, and I can't find anything that I can say for sure is a
fuse.
> There are a couple of things soldered to the powersupply board that might
be
> fuses, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know where the fuses are?
>
> thanks,
> Bert

TRENDING THREADS