New Computer build, Powerful but Unstable with WIndows 7.

johnathonkonrad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello,
I just finished building a custom built PC:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ Motherboard; AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-core 3.46GHz w/ Zalman 9900ALED 120mm CPU cooler; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 240 pin DIMM RAM; 1000Watt Kingwin LazerZ power supply with modulared 12V rails; a pair of ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5 256-bit video cards on CrossfireX; Western Digital 500GB 6gps SATA HDD; Sony DVDRW SATA optical drive.

After assembling the PC and intalling an OEM system builders copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition, it came on and loaded the drivers with no problems, and I proceeded to install updates and several peripherals, such as a backup HDD, wireless USB adaptor, external DVDRW and webcam. Everything seemed to be working perfectly until I started noticing Internet Explorer was acting sluggish. I thought it may be the browser, but even with Firefox or Chrome it still was freezing up randomly. What confused me the most, is Windows Media Player triggered freezes as well. I'm thinking that there is a compatability issue between the new hardware (CPU and/or RAM) and windows 7. However, Ive not been able to resolve the problem, so I need guidance from someone more familiar with WIndows 7, and possibly Custom built PCs.

Thanks

You did put the two video cards in the tan colored slots? The power connecters are in all the way on the video cards? You can go into the action center and select trouble shooting and see what comes up. There is also a Windows program compatability trouble shooter.

johnathonkonrad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I'll double check the express slots and power connections, but according to some IT the symptoms all seem to be pointing to a problem with the motherboard's chipset bridges, with a possiblity of either a bad chip or the drivers were not completely installed or errors were made in the driver's registry.

johnathonkonrad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011