Looking for a new graphics card

Antoinette

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi, im new to the forums and I was wondering if someone could help me out with choosing a good video card that will be able to run games on high settings (such as left 4 dead2). I don't know that much about video card specs so any help would be very appreciated. I'll post my computer specs below:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/Antoinette_123/systemspec1.png
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/Antoinette_123/systemspec2-1.png

Antoinette

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
my monitor resolution is 1600x900. I think the power supply is 280W which is really low right? So i'm assuming I'd have to buy a new power supply..my budget for the card is below 100$ and whatever power supply is needed with it ill have to buy. but for the card itself no more than 100 dollars(hopefully a good amount below).

Antoinette

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
my monitor is a Compaq Q2009 20" diagonal widescreen LCD monitor. so the graphic card and power supply suggested should fit into my computer tower? I'ts an ideacentre k300.

You're right the Compaq Q2009 20-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor's native resolution is 1600x900 @ 60Hz.

Yes the suggested power supply unit and half-length graphics card will fit into the IdeaCentre K300 (5316) chassis/case based on the detailed system specifications I've read and pictures I've seen.

Antoinette

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
the gtx 260 seems really good from the reviews and comparisons i found online. Thanks for all the help everyone :) I think i'll go with the psu recommended and the gtx260. My only other concern is installation. I have no idea how to install either the power supply or the card and ive never actually opened my tower before. I'm wondering if I could call best buy or comp usa and have them install them for a price. How easy is it to install them myself?

Try looking up Install videos on YouTube.Their are plenty of how-to videos on there.

I would still reccomend going with the 6770 over the GTX260.The GTX260 consumes 70 watts more for the small performance increase.I would say get the 6770 if your going to use a 380 watt PSU.

The chain stores will rape you for simple computer tasks. Just look on youtube like purple suggested. Installing a psu can take a bit of time because it involves disconnecting/reconnecting a lot of cables but it's nothing particularly hard.

All your doing is adding a GPU to the current system so it shouldn't be to difficult.So what I suggest doing is taking the cover off of the case and studying all of the cables and connectors.Look at where their all connected and to.Take pictures if you feel it would help you.Everything should connect and look the same way with the new PSU as it did on the old PSU the only thing you will have to do differently is connect the PCI-Express power connectors to the card how many you need to connect to the card will differ as the 6770/5770 only requires 1 while the GTX260 requires 2.

And if you plan on getting that Antec 380 watt linked above you will need a molex adapter for the GTX260 because that 380 watt only comes with 1 PCI-Express connector.

The GTX 260 I linked actually already comes with two adapters.