What Wireless Adapter Should I Get?

kinkos8

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hey guys. So I'm just about ready to order a bunch of parts off of Newegg and build a new gaming computer. This is my first custom computer build, and there are a few details I'm not so sure about. I definitely want to go on the Internet on my new machine, and there's no way I'm going to run an Ethernet cable all the way from my bedroom where I'm keeping the computer, to the wireless router down the hall when I could just hook up a wireless adapter. My only issue is, I haven't the slightest idea how I should go about finding a decent adapter. I have a WRT54G Linksys router(So I'm guessing that means it's has a 54 mbps wireless data rate, and a G format network or whatever). The router is on the opposite side of a hallway as my room. I'll be using this computer for regular Internet sites like Youtube and Facebook, but I'll also be running multiplayer in games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield, Minecraft, and perhaps the occasional MMORPG. What kind of adapter would you recommend? Please use specifics like wireless data rate in mbps, pci, pci-e, usb, or some other interface, perhaps a preferred brand? Future-proofing would be nice too, because this is one of the parts that I don't want to have to worry about replacing later on when I'd rather put my money toward upgrading my cpu, gpu, and/or cooling system. Thanks in advance! And let me know if you need any additional information to answer this.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Solution

kinkos8

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Thanks. It looks like the people giving good reviews over on Newegg are boasting some pretty impressive signal strengths at really far range! My only concern is the 17% of the reviewers giving only one egg...In fact, most, if not all of the wireless adapters on Newegg have a relatively large amount of one eggs and a majority of five eggs. I'm hoping this has more to do with the buyer's screwing things up because of their lack of experience, and not that wireless adapters are crappy in general. I'll wait for a few more answers just to be safe, but if the high number of one egg reviews is just a fluke, this sounds like a great wireless adapter.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it was plug and play. If I remember correctly, some of the one eggs were RMAs so it should work fine for your purposes. Anyway, good luck with your build. Hope all goes well :)

kinkos8

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Haha. I've been playing Multiplayer CoD, Grand Theft Auto, and Saints Row on my PS3 with WiFi and haven't had any issues, so I don't see why it should be any different for PC, especially if I choose such a high quality(as it seems) adapter as hpdeskjet recommended. If anything, I'll get better results with my online play, although I wouldn't be able to tell since I never noticed any slow-downs with my PS3 which has 5 year old technology. Thanks hpdeskjet! I think I'll try that out. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what kind of results I get.

kinkos8

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm sorry to post in such an old thread, but I realized I'd forgotten to give an update as to how I felt about the adapter. I've had a fantastic experience with it so far, and I'm loving the computer I built. I must thank you for recommending the adapter, it's treated me quite well.