I'm an AMD fan! Q> is the 8Core FX good for gaming/videoediting/all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

yes it is a good all around CPU , but there are better ,for the price . I went with 1100t and 1090t because it is not enough of an increase in performance or decrease in power usage over Thuban .
So yes it is good and might improve with win 8 , just not enough of over all for me . Hope the next CPU AMD puts out i will be a big improvement

Uther39

Distinguished
Sigh !

Again in answer to your question, yes it is a good CPU and will surely see you right for a couple of years.

Yes there are better intel CPUs out there, but like me you prefer AMD, so buy it and enjoy it.

After all i like KIA car, i own a Sportage and i love it, yes there are better 4WD out there by other companies, but i like KIAs.

So stick to your guns and buy what you like.

As long as you realize that the majority of games only use two cores, some use three cores, and very few use four cores. Therefore, most of the time while playing games, most of your cores will simply be idling.

Of course, with so many core you should be able to play games and encode videos at the same time without much of a performance decrease in games.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
AMD FX isn't bad, the problem is that above 200 dollars, usually, Intel Cpus are better. Even some games at 1080p (where the weight shifts to GPU) cpus Intel get better and better fps (without mentioning huge multiplayer maps, etc).
If you going stick with multi-gpu the way to go is intel again.. (just check benchmarks)

^^^

However, if you look at what's above the 6 core Phenom II X6 1100T, it is the quad core Phenom II X4 980. Therefore, the two extra cores do not do anything.

cpu_02qjb7.png

Also, if you look at the benchmarks, you will note that going from a dual core i3-2120 @ 3.3GHz to the quad core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz the increase in performance is 1 frame. That basically tells you that BF3 only makes use of a dual core CPU.

Here's THG's review regarding CPU scaling:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html

cpu%20scaling.png

intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png

However, it seems that AMD's FX-8150 can make use of more than 2 cores since the FPS increases from 72 to 79. That all good I suppose... until you look at the 1st chart again and realize that the dual core i3-2105 @ 3.1GHz can beat the FX-8150 @ 3.7GHz. Hell, according to that chart the Core i3 even beat it's bigger brother, the i7-2600k.

amd%20fx-8150%20cores.png

loneninja

Distinguished
While we're at showing BF3, here is 64 player on Caspian Border.
2506.png

For most games FX is fail, it has 8 weak cores, even a Core I3 matches or beats it's performance as do the older Phenom II processors.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_6.html#sect0

But I'm not here to just bash FX, it has high powerdraw and 8 weak cores which doesn't do much good for gaming. But if you read that whole review I linked you'll see in some software including video encoding it's a very competitive product.

I wouldn't waste my time looking at Tomhardwares worthless BF3 benchmarks, they like most everyone else used a scripted scene from a single player campaign. It is very easy on the CPU and only tests the GPU, they utterly failed at providing real benchmarks. :lol:

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Its easy for people to bash AMD because thats what people want. Kinda like finding a bad review for amd and latching onto it like its god-sent.

Benchmarks is where Intel owns, but seriously, do you really think you can tell the difference between 96fps and 101 or 62.2 and 62.8?

I will say this, the 8150 is overpriced, esp when you take overclocking into consideration, the 8120 kills the 8150 in price/performance.

BD is disappointing because AMD marketing fked up, throwing crap around saying its going to be 500% faster than intel, wich spread like wildfire on the internet and when it came out, people were disappointed and refuse to look at it for what it is, instead look at it as what retards in marketing said. I don't buy a car because the saleman said its "uber." I buy it if it fits my needs in the real world. I don't play games at 1024x768 so I could care less, I look at 1900x1200 because thats what my monitor supports.

Lastly, if your playing with photoshop, last thing you want is to wait constantly. 3 seconds isn't much from the 2600k, but the "best AMD gaming cpu (everyone recommends the 980 right?)" wait time is 31seconds longer.

premiere%20pro.png

Performance is a balancing act. What are you doing with it? if your gaming and only gaming and spending ~$1000+ on gpu, then your stupid for buying anything less than SB-E, but if like the majority and using a budget $400 GPU or less, you won't notice a difference in games going from 92.3fps to 92.4 at the resolution you will be using (1900x1200).

Gaming_01.png

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
maybe read what I wrote

but if like the majority and using a budget $400 GPU or less, you won't notice a difference in games going from 92.3fps to 92.4 at the resolution you will be using (1900x1200).

How many budget gamers are rushing out to buy that $525 7970?

And as far as overall results, there are some issues that skew the results, so do you include them for your needs if you don't play that game?

civ5_1920_1200.gif

What exactly did they do to make it run that bad? and why does all resolutions have the same results?

41713.png

and how does the 5870 beat the 7970 (above 5870, below 7970)

civ5_1680_1050.gif

If you are an AMD fan and don't mind the 10% difference between a intel cpu and the FX-8150 in most settings you'd still have a very powerful and capable cpu.

The problem is you can have the same performance for cheaper depending on what you really want from an cpu.

Uther39

Distinguished
OK i repeat.

Again in answer to your question, yes it is a good CPU and will surely see you right for a couple of years.

Yes there are better intel CPUs out there, but like me you prefer AMD, so buy it and enjoy it.

After all i like KIA car, i own a Sportage and i love it, yes there are better 4WD out there by other companies, but i like KIAs.

So stick to your guns and buy what you like.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.