LOOKING for an immediate UPGRADE

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
LOOKING for an immediate UPGRADE: (reason *)

current: Athlonx2 2.7GHz, M2N68 PLUS, 2 Gb DDR2, ATI 4350 HD

My desire:
Only Games.
prefer intel over amd. (*)

can spend hardly 280$ after selling current for 110$.

OPTION #1: i3 2100 + H67 + 4350(doesnt make much sense as 4350 is comparable to IGP.) [i3 2100 being only 2 cored beats all AMD 2/4-cored CPUs in games.]
i3 + H67 only n wait a month for gpu like 6770.

OPTION #2: current system + 6770 + 550W psu for 280-110=170$.

plz suggest any more options!

*:- my athlon often over heats and system gets off suddenly, hence selling it as soon as possible.

evang

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
athlon ii x3 + 5670 would only be ~$150 and should run on your current system depending on your current psu. otherwise i would just save up until you can build on the 1155 socket.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
it seems you have amd athlon 64 x2 7750 @ 2.7 ghz

i too have this system athlon 7750 and hd 6770

this athlon cpu is bottleneck my hd6770 badly

to be future proof
grab the i3 with 4gb of ddr3 ram and z68 chipset and then after some time grab the gtx550ti (they support phyx) and priced equal to 6770 or gtx6xx or hd7xxx series because these series support dx11.1 (perfect for gaming)

or (not so recommended)
get a phenom 2 x4 955 now and graphics card later

or
check this link
http://www.naaptol.com/price/950505-AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-Graphic-card.html
a ati radeon hd7970 @ Rs8000
(unbelievable or maybe a mistake)

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
For an immediate upgrade I get a new PSU + Graphics card and a new cpu heatsink.

That should fix the overheating issue and give an immediate improvement for gaming.

This is for the instant improvement your after. In the long run you'll want to save up and get a new cpu, mobo and ram, but the new psu and gpu will be usable on the new system

G

As you prefer Intel over AMD (wise decision at present!), I'd recommend...

Intel Core i3-2100 or even the Sandy Bridge Pentiums (G620, G630, G840, G850 and G860) are great and much cheaper than i3-2100, and G860 is just 5-10% slower than i3. But that's only a suggestion considering your tight budget.

For motherboard, I don't see any need to go for H67 chipset based board, as there's not much performance/feature improvement, both don't support native overclocking and H67 based boards are more expensive than H61. Do note that even the "lowly" H61 boards will support an i7-2700K and even the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs...!!!

For graphics, the best GPUs under $100 are Radeon HD 5550, 5570, 5670, 6570, 6670 and nVIDIA GT 430, 440, GTS 250, 450 and GTX 460.

If you'd compare the above mentioned gfx cards, Radeons, in the same price range, use lesser energy than their nVIDIA counterparts while also being a bit faster and less expensive too!

The biggest plus point of nVIDIA cards is PhysX, games supporting it perform better on nVIDIA cards. Then there's also 3D Vision (don't consider if you're not planning on 3D anytime soon). And driver updates for nVIDIA cards are much efficient while AMD drivers have a history of being painful, though they're probably improving with every new version.

It's your call now...

Hi :)

I totally agree... does anyone on here actually read the OP`s original posting ?

He hasnt even got the money for a decent graphics card much less a mobo,i3/15, ram etc etc....

All the best Brett :)

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
i3 seems to support while G840 doesnt:
Intel® Quick Sync Video
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology
Intel® Insider™

QUERIES:-

#1. does that have to do anything as IGP of Sandy Bridge gets disabled on using dGPU, isn't it?

#2. if its a performance lag then in what aspects n how much? Should i ignore this as it will be overtaken by a better dGPU card like 5750?

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
also if i take 5670 that requires a 400W supply, shouldn't i purchase new psu as the stock psu (450 W - tagged) may/maynot deliver required power?

is any body sure about that <underlined slant> thing?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
you have to look on the current capacity of that psu

if you want to use i3 + hd5670 then you will need around 15A rating on 12v rail (combine)
i think your psu have a rating above 20a, so it will work
to confirm this look for reading on psu

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
by the way you will need 4gb of ram for new games like cod mw2, mw3, i have 3gb of ram but it still shows a warning of low memory (page file set to 0)

my sys able to give me around 40fps in mw2,mw3,jc,gta4,l4d etc at low to high settings @ 1360 x 768
but gives only 10fps in cod black ops due to cpu limitation

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

yeah!

i will definetly get atleast 4 gb ddr3

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

its 25 A.

AGAIN, my friend its tagged 25A. Is it trustworthy?

&
also attend:-

i3 seems to support while G840 doesnt:
Intel® Quick Sync Video
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology
Intel® Insider™

QUERIES:-

#1. does that have to do anything as IGP of Sandy Bridge gets disabled on using dGPU, isn't it?

#2. if its a performance lag then in what aspects n how much? Should i ignore this as it will be overtaken by a better dGPU card like 5750?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
25a at 12v mean that it can provide 300m at 12v rail, for i3 (65w) + hd5670 (75w max) equals 140w only, thus your psu is fully sufficient

but hd5670 is a very weak machine, it is half of hd5770

1. True 3d and quick sync is related to igpu, all gpu have video related acceleration (including dedicated one), quick sync cause a some quality loss in comparision to software acceleration.
If you want to speedup video processing/encoding/decoding/converting then you should consider a nvidia gtx card. Not sure but insider seems like marketing method.

2. You can totaly ignore any feature of igpu because they are present in dgpu too with different names

again 5670 is not that good
also check my link above for hd7970 for Rs8000

can you give some examples of the types of games you want to play

if you want only upto dx10 then you can consider hd4870 at same price as of hd5670

Or wait for gtx 6 or hd 7 series as they support dx11.1

the gts 450 is no where near 60% better than a 5670. its actually only like 30% better.

also OP'd be better off getting an AMD cpu on his current board and buying a more powerful gpu like the 6770.

He can get a phenom II x4 or athlon II x4 and a 6770 within his budget.

going intel is completely out of his budget and he'd be worse off.

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

hey i recently discovered SB processors are excellent in gaming as compared to AMD 2/4 cores.

so instead of phenom II x4 955 BE for 140$, i would prefer G850 for less than 100$, the gaming benchs are slightly less.

those $$ are for the dgpu 5670

I think this is best for the budget gaming at 1366x768 at not ultra but atleast high texture with high shadows for the most games till 2012.

you don't need a new motherboard if you get a x4...

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

thanks bro..

bt plz read my very first post, where i mentioned the reason for selling the whole AMD setup and switching to intel.

For me AMD has a -ve repo.

I guess if you can sell the amd setup for that much you can get some money but you'd be stuck with a worse processor than if you just got a new amd one. Unless you can sell the whole thing for a lot more than the processor alone, a good upgrade would only cost like $70 for an athlon II x4. spend the rest on a good gpu.

anyways I'd just suggest a cheap g620 or something and then a cheap board togather should be about $130 then spend the rest on the best gpu you can afford. this will give you the most balanced system and not have to wait to save up.

The igp in the i3 is crap btw but so is the 4350 and neither would be worth using in games. The cpu performance wouldn't really mater unless you have the money for a good gpu. I'd say you'd either save up more or take up one of the suggestions.

on games that use less than 2 threads then the i3 is a good choice but not everything you do will require only 2 and this is where that i3 will fall flat.. the only way to justify buying a dual for gaming over an amd quad is hmmmm i cant think of 1,,, simply because it doesn't beat amd quads in all tests... it beats them in gfx centric games but cpu bound games where more threads means better performance, like gta 4 and most recent console ports 4 threads are better than 2... seriously if you run gta 4 on any dual your gonna have issues. run it on a quad and your issues dissipate to nothing. same for battlefield bad company 2, and to some extent battlefield 3...

seriously m8 you cant take benchmarks as gospel especially the 1s where they selectivley pick games that wont bother the cpu to much, often they are more representative of sales rather than performance. and rarley reflect real world performance. even toms are guilty of posting such benches...
they posted benches a couple of weeks back claiming that turning off a 2500k was akin to running a dual core, which is actual bogus. no dual core i know has that much shared cache or transistor count... making it totaly unrepresentative of real world performance... i even had a nub link it, claiming it was proof you dont need a quad... why? because he had just bought a dual and was struggling with real world performance.

so m8 take the money your gonna set asside and buy some decent upgrades for your current system. rather than getting a modest bump in perfomance with a dual and weaker gfx. this way you can buy a slightly cheaper quad and a much bigger gfx card and they system as a whole will give a bigger performance bump even though you will be buying what amounts to [strike]inferior[/strike]/budget parts

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i think for immediate upgrade a radeon hd6770 or gtx550ti is great (you can play many game at 30-40fps, including gta4 too with your athlon (because i have this setup))

for more future proof get a i3 with cheap z68 chipset and use your current hd4350 and overclock it a bit using catalyst control center, and in mid of 2012 you can get a hd7 of gtx6 series with dx11.1

go through this link, a radeon hd7970 at 160$
http://www.naaptol.com/price/950505-AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-Graphic-card.html
if they are not joking then their no better deal than this

thats bs... nobody is stupid enough to sell a $500 card for $160