Can I build new PC on top of gysum board instead of floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

otaku3230

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I am about to build a new PC tomorrow and I have no floor to build upon on since its carpeted every where [except kitchen and bathroom].

Therefore, to avoid static, is it okay to put together everything for the PC [mobo, cpu, HD, psu, etc] on top of a tough rock gysum board which are:

http://www.gp.com/build/productgroup.aspx?pid=1490

http://products.construction.com/Manufacturer/Georgia-Pacific-Gypsum-LLC-NST1090/products/ToughRock--Gypsum-Board-NST14478-P

So, this board won't product static to disturb the build right?

And one more thing, should I wear gloves also?

Solution
As a new builder your first priority is to have a comfortable and organized space to work in. With excellent lighting.

A "ground" is a connection to the earth that electricity can easily travel along. A metal plumbing pipe for instance.

If your home is properly wired your outlets have a ground wire built in. In the home, wool, silk, and nylon are the biggest generators of static electricity. Obviously your clothes dryer, because all that fabric rubbing together in hot dry air creates static.

Have you ever noticed that there is more static in the winter? That's because colder air is usually drier air. Moisture in the air helps prevent static charges... I THINK it's because it conducts the charge before it builds up to the point of...

otaku3230

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

I don't and do not have the time to spend $ on grounding strap.

Anyhow, gloves do not product electric or static right [they are working gloves not winter gloves] as I can at least use them when not screwing the parts together on PC case.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Either way just ground yourself before you install in the cpu, touch a metal door/window frame or the heating/air vent in your house if its easy to reach. I have built lots of pc's and worked as a service tech for Dell so I have taken off and reinstalled literally 100's of cpus w/o ever having static issues (that I was made aware of).

As a new builder your first priority is to have a comfortable and organized space to work in. With excellent lighting.

A "ground" is a connection to the earth that electricity can easily travel along. A metal plumbing pipe for instance.

If your home is properly wired your outlets have a ground wire built in. In the home, wool, silk, and nylon are the biggest generators of static electricity. Obviously your clothes dryer, because all that fabric rubbing together in hot dry air creates static.

Have you ever noticed that there is more static in the winter? That's because colder air is usually drier air. Moisture in the air helps prevent static charges... I THINK it's because it conducts the charge before it builds up to the point of being noticeable.

Mom used to boil water on the wood stove in the winter, to keep the air a bit more humid and so reduce static charge.

Solution

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Sure its possible but not wise. Its tar, even if mostly solid at this point its still not a good idea. Could end up getting some melted tar on a lead or connection, you don't want to be scraping that crap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.