Power Requirements for GTX280

noobieAaron

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,
I'll be buying a GTX280 and I have a Nexgen 600W PSU.
This is what is written on the side of the PSU:
+5V 31A
+12V 25A
-5V 0.5A
-12V 0.5A
+3.3V 20A
+5VSB 2A

I want to know if the amperage and wattage is enough for the GTX280

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 280 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Nexgen 600W PSU, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps, is grossly inadequate to power a system with a single GeForce GTX 280 graphics card.

A reputable name brand power 550 Watt supply will have at least a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps.

Get a power supply from reputable brand names like Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, XFX.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Wondering why you're buying a GTX 280.

I actually researched that card when I was having issues with it. Two of them died on me, and apparently many of the GTX 280's were faulty.

Their heat output along with materials used to solder them was a problem. The chip would heat up so much that it would melt the contacts over time and slowly cause graphics issues.

Just a warning before you purchase that GPU.

907rider

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I'm not so sure about the defective cards post... I'd just like to say those 280 gtx's are a very underated card. I personally have had one since they came out quite a few years ago, mine is 280 GTX OC edition by the now extinct BFG Tech. I now use it in one of my folding @ home computers. Here's why I feel (or at least mine) is a god card: stock gpu clock was 615mhz I have run mine in my folding @ home farm for 3 days straight AT 740mhz, you would think this would fry the card? NOPE! Never even got above 75C. I have been running that computer for those 3 day cycles forrr about a year now, have had two HDD's go out but the graphic's card is still running strong.

TRENDING THREADS