• Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Dual Core
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2011 4:09:29 AM

So I recently got the gtx 470 and got a ridiculous bottleneck with my current 2.2ghz dual core that I OCd to 2.9 stable and saw it go way down, but that it was still there. I just ordered the 3.2ghz e6700 and was wondering how much I'll need to OC it to remove the bottleneck. I play at 1920x1080 on everything and have 5 case fans that keep everything at really low temps. My CPU at 2.9 only ran at 48C at full load, so cooling isn't too much of an issue. So what's that magic number I'll need to hit to remove the bottleneck from my 470? I think 4.0 should be reachable but I may invest in a CPU water cooler if it has to go that high. Thoughts?

More about : gtx 470 2ghz e6700 bottleneck

Best solution

August 5, 2011 4:13:30 AM

My thoughts,
overclock your new dual core as much as you can...
If you're going to overclock, may as well get the most out of it.
As long as your temps aren't "high" you're fine there.

There is no "magic number," all rigs are different, you'll have to tinker and see what works best for you.
August 5, 2011 4:26:46 AM

Thanks. As a general rule I try and keep CPUs under 55C under full load. Is this still something good to live by or is it ok to push it into the 60s?
Score
Related resources
August 5, 2011 4:32:39 AM

No problem!
From what I know and understand staying around 70C is a nice happy place to be.
Go above 85C and you start asking for trouble. (full load/Prime95)

Are you going to have stock cooling on your CPU?
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 4:32:52 AM

it really depends on the cpu. Safe temps for most core 2 duo's is 70C. But if your putting more volts through it, you want to try keep it under 60C. For many new games it wont matter how far you overclock it, without a quad core your doomed. Rather than spending money on a new cpu and watercooling you could just buy a quad core amd phenom and motherboard.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:41:34 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
it really depends on the cpu. Safe temps for most core 2 duo's is 70C. But if your putting more volts through it, you want to try keep it under 60C. For many new games it wont matter how far you overclock it, without a quad core your doomed. Rather than spending money on a new cpu and watercooling you could just buy a quad core amd phenom and motherboard.

Raising voltage is what increases temps...
He also stated that he's already ordered his new CPU.

Benftf, I wouldn't take your vcore past 1.35 to be safe, make sure to monitor temps and such.
It's also unlikely you'd need to watercool. Just get a good air cooling heatsink.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:42:46 AM

Ya I've been avoiding doing a total upgrade like that but I've been realizing I'll have to sooner or later. At the moment this was all I had the extra cash to blow on it. I've been avoiding moving to AMD as well cause I've heard NVIDIA is better paired with intel chips. Is this something I should really be worried about though to prevent me from moving to a different motherboard/chip combo? And I know quads are a new territory for me on how they operate, so staying on topic, if I were to upgrade to a new mobo/AMD quad core, are there any recommendations to minimize the bottleneck or remove it from the 470?
Score
August 5, 2011 4:45:39 AM

Honestly, if you did a new mobo and cpu upgrade, there wouldn't be any bottleneck to worry about. Especially if you went to quad core.
So any new quad core and mobo in that case.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:51:27 AM

I'll be using stock cooling directly on the CPU yes. Probably whatever comes with the e6700, if not I'll be using the one I have now. But like I said earlier I've got 5 case fans that kept my 2.2 OCd at 2.9 at full load at 48C. But 70C really? Thanks I'll keep that in mind. As for the vcore, I'm assuming you mean voltage, I'm not exactly familiar with that term.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 4:56:49 AM

benftf said:
Ya I've been avoiding doing a total upgrade like that but I've been realizing I'll have to sooner or later. At the moment this was all I had the extra cash to blow on it. I've been avoiding moving to AMD as well cause I've heard NVIDIA is better paired with intel chips. Is this something I should really be worried about though to prevent me from moving to a different motherboard/chip combo? And I know quads are a new territory for me on how they operate, so staying on topic, if I were to upgrade to a new mobo/AMD quad core, are there any recommendations to minimize the bottleneck or remove it from the 470?

1) that simply false. nvidia cards work just fine with intel or AMD cpu. the same applies to AMD (ATI) cards

2) you should be fine if you can get Phenom II X4. i think you'll have to upgrade your RAM as well but RAM is cheap nowadays
Score
August 5, 2011 4:58:54 AM

Yeah, 70C and you're golden.
And yes, vcore = cpu voltage.
With what sounds to be pretty great airflow through your case you'd probably be fine with the stock cooler or cooler you have now or for $13 you could get this heatsink/fan. Which should do the job if your stock can't do it.
But for top quality air cooling for $28 I'd get the Hyper 212+.
Score
August 5, 2011 5:07:10 AM

Thanks for clarifying renz, I'll be keeping that in mind from now on. And thanks a ton for all your help bee, I'll probably push my core to 4.0 and at that point I'm hoping at 1920x1080 res I won't see any of the bottlenecking I was getting before.
Score
August 5, 2011 5:10:08 AM

No problem Benftf!
I believe it'll prevent that.
Good luck and happy overclocking! :) 
Score
August 5, 2011 5:12:15 AM

Best answer selected by Benftf.
Score
a c 148 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 6:17:40 AM

benftf said:
Thanks for clarifying renz, I'll be keeping that in mind from now on. And thanks a ton for all your help bee, I'll probably push my core to 4.0 and at that point I'm hoping at 1920x1080 res I won't see any of the bottlenecking I was getting before.

you're going to need good mobo if you want to push your processor that high. for LGA775 most people will choose mobo with P45 chipset if they want to push the processor hard. in my case my i can't overclock my E7500 any higher than 3.77Ghz because of chipset limitation. you might want to double check your cpu cooling as well.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 4:47:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!