Please help. My computer shut down and won't power back on.

crosshot4

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi,
I just built my 1st build last week and now I'm having problems with it. I was playing Fallout: New vegas and all of a sudden my computer shuts down and it won't turn on. I press the power button and my blue LED lights flash on very fast and then all power goes away. To even make the lights flash again I have to unplug my computer out of the wall and plug it back in. I've read through the checklist already and i've tried numerous things such as, taking the motherboard out and screwing it back in, taking out and re inserting a stick of RAM, using a different Power supply, taking the battery out of my motherboard for 5 minutes, and other things. The weird thing is if i unplug the 4 pin connector by the CPU the computer turns on. My computer specs are...

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3Ghz

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G46

Sapphire 100314-3L HD 6870 1GB

PSU: Sunbeam 680w

RAM: 4Gb x3 Corsair vengeance

HD: Hiatachi 1TB 7200 RPM

Dragh0n

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

I did some quick research and it looks like the 6870 requires 2 6pin power cords. The Sunbeam 680w only has one.
It looks like you have a decent video card, a hexacore cpu and 12 Gigs of RAM, etc.. but a cheapie PSU. :|

crosshot4

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I do have 2 6 pin power cords going to my video card. The video card came with an adapter that plugs into the power supply. Besides i know the video card works because i was using my computer for 5 or so days before it died on me.

ewinga

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have exactly the same problem, I have the same motherboard and CPU, 6gb corsair ram two drives and this is the second motherbord in six months and it's on a UPS. Surely I don't need to replace the motherboard again. Since the PSU fan dosn't spin I assume it's the motherboard. if they do spin then it's CPU or Ram. removing ram should answer that since it's unlikely all the ram is faulty

Take out the video card and all the drives and everything that connects to them and leave it so the only things plugged in are the PSU to the wall and the PSU to the 2 ports on the botherboard that it connects to and then try to turn it on and see what happens.

Take out the RAM too.

If both those two parts are fine and you turn on the computer then the CPU fan should be able to start and stay on.

Just looking at the Sunbeam 680w label it shows 20A on the 12V. I don't trust anything that says that. CPUs capable of powering high end things tend to have smaller numbers on the 3.3v and 5v and larger numbers on the 12v. This PSU looks like it was designed for computers built 10 years ago.

I could be wrong, though.

Read the review on this Sunbeam 580 from the same company

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=204