PC not booting after a CPU heatsink cleanup

newmystie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi!

My PC is a Pentium IV. Recently, when powering it up, it powered up then after like 2 seconds it turned off by itself and then re-powered on its own. I opened it up and dusted it a bit using a paintbrush, especially the CPU fan. It was alright for some days. Then I got the same problem again. This time I removed the heatsink and the CPU from the board for proper dusting. Now i made a mistake :( . I scraped up the dried thermal paste from the cooler's base using a metal screwdriver. And when I placed back the CPU and fan and powered up again, now I got no display, no sound nothing. Just the hard disk spinning. That's all.

Now could it be that the scratching on the cooler's base caused this?

newmystie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Is that real necessary? I read somewhere that PC should run even without thermal paste.

newmystie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Yes. I did put the CPU power connector. When I power on the PC the CPU fan runs ok.

And no, I didn't touch the CPU with the screwdriver. I touched only the cooler with it.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
check your cpu to monitor cable, clean them and place them correctly and tightly

(but i still think that ram is the problem, use some cleaner or ketone with a cloth to clean ram stick's pin, and clean the slots too with cloth)

TRENDING THREADS