Your question

Rebuilding my old PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2011 8:11:41 AM

HI there I just joined the community!! This Christmas my Dad is allowing me to buy parts to rebuild my old PC. I have already chosen what i want but I'm confused on things such as wither a processor is a motherboard (i'm very green in the computer field). well first let me give you my selections and how much they cost.

Graphics:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 $350
CPU: Athlon II X3 460 (3.4GHz, 95W, 1.5MB total dedicated L2 cache, 4000MHz HyperTransportâ„¢ bus, socket AM3) $87
RAM: Kingston 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 667MHz DDR2667 $50
sound card:Creative Labs SB0570L4 Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card $30
total: $510 more or less

well now that you know what i want (please don't offer complete changes such as intel this and ectc, i know what i want!) well my main questions is what mother board is compatible with my processor (if a processor and motherboards must be bought separately) well if you need any more information just ask!

also the PC in question is sitting in a closet under some boxes so i can't just dig it out and plug it in just to check some stuff. I've already checked my specs and it can run ARMA II on high settings :D  !!

If you are curios here are the specs from my old PC:

Ati radeon x200
1G of ram
and that's it.

Thanks for your help!! I hope I'll enjoy this community!! :D 

if this is the wrong subsection please feel free to change it (if u can)

More about : rebuilding

October 6, 2011 9:11:40 AM

A motherboard is the main circuit board of a computer

It has various kinds of slots to insert memory others to insert graphics cards , a different type again for sound cards and connectors to plug in other things like hard drives and dvd drives
There is also a socket for the processor or cpu . The processor and motherboard have to be matched .
There is very little chance the processor you have selected will plug in to your old motherboard .

Head to newegg.com and look
With intel systems
a socket 1155 processor can only be fitted to a socket 1155 motherboard
a 1336 processor in a socket 1366 board
AMD are a bit more helpful to people upgrading so
an AM3 processor must go in an AM2+ , AM3 or AM3+ motherboard

But you just cant buy any cpu and expect it to work

October 6, 2011 9:44:21 AM

Outlander_04 said:
A motherboard is the main circuit board of a computer

It has various kinds of slots to insert memory others to insert graphics cards , a different type again for sound cards and connectors to plug in other things like hard drives and dvd drives
There is also a socket for the processor or cpu . The processor and motherboard have to be matched .
There is very little chance the processor you have selected will plug in to your old motherboard .

Head to newegg.com and look
With intel systems
a socket 1155 processor can only be fitted to a socket 1155 motherboard
a 1336 processor in a socket 1366 board
AMD are a bit more helpful to people upgrading so
an AM3 processor must go in an AM2+ , AM3 or AM3+ motherboard

But you just cant buy any cpu and expect it to work

Hi thanks for the reply!! well i've been doing some research (rather quickish i might say) and i've come across and AMD motherboard that looks like it might meet my need. but as well as an Asus MB

Asrock's 880GMH USB3 about $90
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS at around $200

if i'm looking for budget wise then i think the choice is obvious but i've read that AMD motherboards are a great choice performance wise. is that true?
October 6, 2011 10:23:44 AM

Dont think that will work ^^ its an intel board.
October 6, 2011 10:44:28 AM

You will want an AM3+ board with a 900-series chipset. I recommend the ASRock 970 Extreme4. I recommend you upgrade CPU to Phenom II 955 and change the GPU to 560 Ti which is newer.
October 6, 2011 10:56:14 AM

My god, that is the worst use of money you could ever do :o .

Don't worry, we are here to help!!

You would want to get at least an AMD Phenom x4

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$120

Motherboard - Don't worry, it is AM3+ Gigabyte and has 4 eggs.

$105

GPU - HD 6870 $170

Ram: you have to get DDR3 not DDR2

G.Skill Ripjaws $48

A great quality watts PSU. $45

It's less than $500. I am sure your monitor resolution would be less than 1920 x 1080 since your stuff are really old so the 6870 will be able to handle what you need :) . Don't worry, the 6870 will be able to play everything at great settings :) .

Oh yeah, you don't need a sound card. Every motherboard has that :) .
October 6, 2011 11:31:17 AM

Thank for your answers!!! well since what cutebeans proposes is so cheap and better (much more) than what i had (thanks for the money saving!!!!!!) well i'm still open to suggestions from anyone!!
October 6, 2011 11:41:49 AM

Sabier said:
Thank for your answers!!! well since what cutebeans proposes is so cheap and better (much more) than what i had (thanks for the money saving!!!!!!) well i'm still open to suggestions from anyone!!

Thanks, good luck with your build. It would also help the board on finding a good GPU for you if you tell them your monitor resolution. If it is 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 900 or 1920 x 1080.
October 6, 2011 12:14:27 PM

Only thing I'd change is the mobo for the ASRock because it has SLI/CF capability just in case :D 
October 6, 2011 12:18:30 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Only thing I'd change is the mobo for the ASRock because it has SLI/CF capability just in case :D 

Yeah, but I doubt he'd be going to crossfire. It's best for him just to get a single powerful card.

I had to add a good $45 dollar PSU.

Judging by the age of your components, it would be best if you tell us what your PSU is but better if you just buy a new one.
October 6, 2011 12:18:41 PM

cutebeans said:
Thanks, good luck with your build. It would also help the board on finding a good GPU for you if you tell them your monitor resolution. If it is 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 900 or 1920 x 1080.

I can't remember entirely but my old monitor is about 1280 x 2024 (can't believe i forgot to add that. thanks once again cutebeans!)
October 6, 2011 12:29:50 PM

Sabier said:
I can't remember entirely but my old monitor is about 1280 x 2024 (can't believe i forgot to add that. thanks once again cutebeans!)

Make sure to check your power supply! The 6870 would own at 1280 vs 1024 res. Good luck.

Oh my god. Check your PSU or just buy a new one.
October 12, 2011 1:56:35 PM

cutebeans said:
Make sure to check your power supply! The 6870 would own at 1280 vs 1024 res. Good luck.

Oh my god. Check your PSU or just buy a new one.

I know it's been a while (really busy week) but i've been doing some looking around for a new psu as i doubt my old one will work, and i've come up with one this:

Cooler Master RS550-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series

I believe that i have stated this before that this is probable but my mom says that it is highly a no go but i will still continue this thread just in case. i think that this PSU brings its own fan (as i said in my first post i am very new to computers) so if it does then i have a total of $507. does this seem reasonable to you guys? i've done some checking this is able to play the upcoming ARMA III at 1280 x 2024 completely maxed out with no problem.
!