New graphics card not working. Need help!

rakee18

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I have a dell 875 watt psu, When I install the graphics driver my pc restarts right after the the welcome screen. Is it psu causing this problem? The card works fine in another pc, And I can run my pc in diagnostic mode but as soon as I run any program it crashes and restarts. I had a 5870 before and it worked fine, what should I do? I want to make sure its the psu before I buy one.

rakee18

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I have an Asus Gtx 580 Matrix platinum edition, I have done everything to make sure its not a softwre issue. Tried different drivers reinstalled windows, nothing worked.

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Have you tried using your rig with another GPU since this started happening?
What's the continuous wattage on your PSU.
Some say 700+ and give you 400+ continuous.
Especially knowing that it's a stock PSU.
As far as I know Dell doesn't put anything close to 850w continuous supplies in their rigs.

Do you have two 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connectors connected from the power supply unit to the ASUS MATRIX GTX580 Platinum?

Doesn't that 875 Watt Power Supply only have two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors?

rakee18

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Its an alienware aurora, My previous card worked without any problems, itwas a HD5870.

First of all, the 6 to 8 pin adapters are useless. They will not increase the amount of current coming out of the 6 pin PSU plug.

Second ( and my usual question on this subject): The 8 pin PCIe power connector has 3 hot wires (same as the 6 pin connector) and 5 ground wires. Will someone please tell me how adding 2 ground wires will miraculously double the current capacity of the three hot wires?

Third: my motherboard manuals say that a 4 pin CPU plug can handle 120 watts. That means a 6 pin connector using the same size wire can handle 180 watts.

If you do not have enough 8 pin PCIe connectors, don't worry about it . Just use the 6 pin connectors, you will be fine.

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
But does it work in your pc now?
Couldn't find exact specs on your PSU in that rig but saying that it's "multi-gpu approved" it should run your 580 no problem...
There's still a chance it could be something else too.
Have you overclocked anything?

rakee18

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

The connectors that came with the card makes 2 6pin connectors 1 8pin.

rakee18

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I sold that card, nothing is overclocked except the graphics card. so what do you suggest I should do?

Don't use the adapters that came with the graphics card.

Just use each of the 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors on the ends of the two PCI-E cable bundles from the wiring harness.

Did you disable the automatic system restart to see what the blue screen message was indicating as the cause?

Are you actually able to make out anything on the blue screen before it disappears? Anything that points to a specific driver for instance?