Computer not starting up after RAM upgrade

arnold_w

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I have an Acer Aspire E380-2E7L ( http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireE380/AspireE380sp2.shtml ) desktop PC with an AMD AM2 Athlon 64 x 2 processor. It came with two 1 GB RAM-modules and on these RAM-modules it says "Apacer 1GB UNB PC2-4300 CL4". On the small individual memories soldered onto the PCB it says "Apacer KZZ AM485708EEJS5D 0640B TBC143-L83G". I wanted to upgrade to 4 GB so I bought two of these: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/value-select-memory-upgrades/vs1gb667d2.html If I remove my old RAM-modules and insert the two new RAM-modules, everything works fine. If I leave the two old RAM-modules in their original slots, and insert the two new RAM-modules into the two free slots, the computer does not boot up. I don't even get the option to jump to BIOS, it just beeps about every three seconds. If I swap places (the new RAM-modules goes where the old ones used to be and vice versa) then I come to the menu where I can select among Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Dos Prompt, etc. No matter what I select, after a few seconds I get the Blue Screen of Death and after an additional second, my computer reboots and I'm back at square one again. Can someone please tell what's wrong?

keithmfr

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
The RAM you purchased is faster than the stock RAM. The stock RAM has a speed of PC2-4300 (553 Mhz) and the ones you purchased have a speed of PC2-5300 (667 Mhz). When you buy RAM that is different than RAM you previously installed, it's key to buy the RAM with the same speed. What happens is the Faster RAM you bought is capped to the slower RAM's speed, 553 Mhz. This can cause compatibility errors in many cases. I suggest you take the RAM back and buy PC2-4300, or buy another of the same kit. It's your call.

Cheers.

arnold_w

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it works fine with just the two sticks from Corsair.

Ok, I see. So, if I understand you correctly, if I throw away my old memories and buy two more of the same Corsair memories, then it should work properly?

Yes it would work correctly or should

InvalidError

Titan

There is at least one reason it can fail: having four dual-sided DIMMs on each channel might exceed the RAM or CPU's IO current source/sink capacity. If you look at motherboards' qualified list, you see that some modules cannot be paired at all while others can only be paired with single-sided modules.

arnold_w

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

What are dual and single sided modules? Is it the same as modules with small memory chips on only one side of the PCB and on both sides of the PCB, respectively? If so, then my old RAM-modules are dual-sided and the new RAM-modules are single sided. Can you please let me know where you found the motherboard's qualified list? I already ordered two more Corsair RAM-modules (of the same kind as previously) and if I open the packages I can't return them so I would like to feel sure it will actually work with four Corsair RAM-modules.

InvalidError

Titan

Prebuilt PCs rarely have a QVL since the computer vendor usually only approve own-branded or supplied parts. The next best thing in those cases is to use the DIMM manufacturer's own memory selection tool to see which DIMMs the vendor has tested with your particular PC.