Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wifi desktop?

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2012 12:42:55 PM

I placed this under the other components category since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Basically my question is which component of a desktop is responsible for picking up wifi. Sorry if its a noob question, thing is I am. Or have I been living under a rock in that I really need those usb dongle things that connects the desktop to a wifi connection?

More about : wifi desktop

Best solution

January 6, 2012 12:51:09 PM

You need either a USB dongle or a PCI card (unless you have one already - but most desktops don't)

The USB dongle will mean that you can use a USB extender to keep the dongle (which contains the aerial) away from your desk and other large bits of metal, or generally move it to a position with slightly better signal.

A PCI card means you need to open up your case and insert an extra card, but the aerial is generally stuck on the card and can only really rotate to reposition. It does mean it won't take up another USB port, though, and it is probably better integrated (more stable, less performance issues, etc) but that just guesswork.
January 6, 2012 12:51:13 PM

[[Double post - because "we're broken, back soon" means "we did post your content, though, so we're not that broken"]]
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2012 10:58:53 PM

how much do those pci cards cost? When I try to look it up online do I just type PCI card?
Score
January 7, 2012 1:16:56 AM

go to newegg's site. In the left hand fram hold your mouse over Computer Hardware then click on Networking in the window that opens.
In the left hand frame again, this time clcik on Wireless Networking.
Back to the left hand frame again, this now click on Wireless Adapter
Lastly in the left hand frame again, scroll down to where it says Interfaces and click on the slot that you would prefer. I would suggest you click More and then click PCIe for use in future builds and I always recommend intel adapters.
Score
January 18, 2012 7:16:26 AM

Best answer selected by Freshbuilder.
Score
!