Computer freezes and won't boot unless i disconnect usb

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Operating system: Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MoBo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD
Ram: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
Hard Drives: OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (2x in RAID 0)
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
Build Date 1/1/2010

Here is the issues I'm having:

Yesterday while playing WoW the computer randomly locked up. When I went to restart the computer it hung on the Asus MoBo splash screen and would not load further. After some research I got the computer to load by disconnecting all usb devices, then reconnected the USB devices after windows was loaded and the computer ran fine for about 5-10 mins then it froze again. After this I got a 10% chance of successful boot up rate.

Half the time the computer would freeze on the Win 7 logo screen, a small fraction of the time I would get a flash of a blue screen then before I could even read the first characters of it the screen would go blank. On the other load attempts I would get nothing the screen would just stay blank when I hit the power button (all my case fans would turn on just no response from my monitor).

This morning I attempted to load the PC with my Win 7 disk to see if a Windows repair would do the trick as I thought something might be wrong with my boot files. Before I got to my MoBo splash screen I was greeted with a screen telling me that my cmos had lost my system time. I thought maybe my cmos battery could be the culprit but I don't know if it could be causing the random freezing I am experiencing.

The final issue I'm noticing is it seems my computer isn't sending enough volts to get my cpu fan spinning on start up. If I flick it with my finger it gets going fine. It sounds like my computer fans are revving like they are trying to start it but just can't. I have always gotten a CPU Fan Error on load and had to hit F1 to continue, but I have always checked and the comp has always gotten the fan spinning before.

Solution
Try flashing your BIOS.

Same thing happen to me,sometimes it wont boot when I have my usb mouse connected but when I disconnect it instantly works fine, it shuts off at a random time and the fan noise after losing power being instantly like (ngiiii~)

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
*Update* Well I'm trying unsuccessfully to reinstall windows. I am now getting the missing Boot Manager when I try to load up windows. While trying to install windows I am getting a weird combination of the computer just freezing up on me some of the time and it just seeming to shut off on other occasions. The fans in my computer will still be running but they sound like they are gasping for power when it does the just shuts down crash.

Logicbomb

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Try flashing your BIOS.

Same thing happen to me,sometimes it wont boot when I have my usb mouse connected but when I disconnect it instantly works fine, it shuts off at a random time and the fan noise after losing power being instantly like (ngiiii~)

Solution
First, replace your CMOS battery. Next, go into the BIOS and make sure that NO USB devices are listed as boot devices. Re-seat your RAM.
Once you have the machine booting reliably (even if it is still locking up), run MEMTEST+ on it.
Once a RAM issue is ruled out (or addressed) check for disk problems by running CHKDSK /F on it. If errors are found, one of your OCZ drives may be crapping out. I'd suggest replacing with a non-OCZ product if you stay with SSD (e.g. Intel or G.Skill), or get a magnetic drive.

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Do you know of any good guides on how to Flash Bios? The biggest issue is how unstable my computer is ATM its crashing randomly on load and now won't stay stable long enough for me to install windows again. (I tried to reformat.. got to the formatting part then 50% insto the install before a crash.)

Logicbomb

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Have you tried using different OS, and also make sure your system is not overheating when installing windows( i doubt it will though)

Logicbomb

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

No problem, glad I could help :bounce: