Needed intel i5 2500 3.3 ghz vs i5 2500k 4.00ghz benchmarks

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
want to know is there a big difference between intel i5 2500 at 3.3ghz and i5 2500k at 4.00ghz..will accelerate everyday computing with a huge difference if used with a sata hdd 500gb 3gb/s

Well going from 3.3GHz to 4.0GHz is a 21.2% increase in performance. However, that doesn't translate directly to a 1:1 performance increase. Meaning frame rates in games will not improve by 21% because it is limited by other factors like the graphics card and "data input time" meaning the amount of time it takes for data to transfer and waiting for the transfer to take place. For games that are not very CPU intensive, the performance increase will be as low as 0%.

For purely CPU intensive programs you will see better performance increase than in games, but again it won't be 1:1 since you still have to deal with "data input time".

Generally speaking, you should see average performance increase from 10% - 14%.

not for 'everyday' computing, but you will see a little bump in performance in gaming, rendering, and other heavy use applications. If all you are doing is browsing the web and doing office work you would not see a practical difference between an i3 and a i5, much less an i5 and an OC'd i5. I agree with Jaguar's prediction of 10-15% increase in heavy CPU applications, but no performance increase in general use applications.
For everyday computing (web, e-mail, anything other than games and production work) the biggest improvement you could make is getting an SSD, not a faster processor.

the overclock won't make any difference on everyday tasks. it won't improve anything with a 500 gb hdd either. cpu oc won't improve hdd performance and vice versa.
an ssd can increase a pc's responsiveness compared to hdd but that's all.
however, in cpu intensive tasks, you will notice increase in performance depending on software's ability to take advantage of the speed bump. for example, lame encoder will encode faster. ms word will stay the same. depending on games, minimum fps might go up a little.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
on everyday computer like browsing files ,browsing internet, watch movies and converting video..will i notice any real world difference and what about ddr3 1333mhz and 1600mhz is there also any big difference between them

video conversion will get faster. but the rest of the activities might seem the same after overclock.
memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
can u say how much percentage will the video conversion get faster..my question is whether i can invest in k series cpu and a p67 mobo and a cpu cooler or get a non k cpu with a h61 mobo and use stock heatsink and the save the money and invest in gfx which is best..on the site u told de5_roy its said that ddr3 1600 mhz is good but if i choose a 1333mhz ram will there be a performance down compared to ddr3 1333mhz for gaming which is better for real world performance..