Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New system - Booting and performing really slow.

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2011 6:58:37 PM

Hello,

I recently bought myself a new gaming rig, the specs are;

CPU: i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
CASE: Antec P193 V3
CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850Watt
GPU: ASUS Radeon EAH6970 DirectCU II 2GB
HDD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM

Since I assembled it and got it up and running I felt it booted up really slow. Maybe even slower than my 3½ year older rig I just replaced.

Just now I did a test with my laptop. An MSI GT640 that's almost 2 years old. The GT640 has 4GB DDR3 RAM, an Nvidia GTS 250M 1GB and an i7-720QM 1.6GHz
I timed both computers from the press of the start button and until skype started up on the computers.

For my laptop this took 1m3s.

And for my brand new rig, this took 2m10s.
After this, I still have problems starting up other programs for about 30 seconds.

Can it really be, that my 2 year old laptop boots faster than my new rig, and should it take it a full 2 minutes 30 seconds to actually be usable?
Bear in mind, that I do not own an SSD so I am not expecting super fast boot times, but I do expect my brand new rig to at least outperform my 2 year old laptop and my other 3½ year old computer.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2011 7:21:48 PM

Is the hard drive of the new computer running AHCI ?

Or IDE mode?

October 6, 2011 7:25:47 PM

Hmm, I'm not quite sure of this (I'm a bit of a noob).
I check this through the BIOS right?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2011 7:40:15 PM

Grab your motherboard manual

go to BIOS and work through each setting , checking pretty much everything .
You are in no hurry .

If you dont understand what a setting does then its best to leave it on AUTO for now .

AHCI is a driver for the hard drive that increases performance once you have booted . But it can add a lot of time to the boot , because there are extra drivers to load in windows .

An older system might not be set up this way , will boot much faster and have lower hard drive performance .

October 6, 2011 7:43:02 PM

That sounds doable, I will try that out!
October 6, 2011 8:18:17 PM

Okay, I looked into the BIOS and tried enabling AHCI.
But when I try to start up the computer at the "Starting Windows" animation I get a BSOD and it restarts my computer.
I can't get the error code since the BSOD only flashes for about half a second, but I can see that it is a BSOD.
Putting it back to IDE works fine :s

EDIT:
"When it comes to performance, there really isn't a big difference in using AHCI.
Note: If you installed Windows in IDE mode (which means that you didn't use F6 and supply a driver disk), then simply changing the BIOS setting to AHCI mode and rebooting will cause Windows to fail and will require a repair install. Most people are advising to reinstall Windows if you want AHCI enabled."

This is from Western Digital's own website. But is this really the issue?
October 7, 2011 12:40:07 PM

I just timed my bootup and it looks roughly like this:

00:00 - Press Power Button
00:15 - Starting Windows Animation
00:45 - Welcome Screen
00:55 - Desktop visible
01:51 - Skype Starts up, immediately after Skype starts, I loaded up Firefox
02:22 - Firefox is running

I'm also having issues when it is already booted and I want to enter stuff like My Computer, Libraries and Control Panel. It tends to take alot of time for these to load.

EDIT: Just redid a startup and everything took about 10 seconds longer, except from Skype which started at the 02:30 mark.
October 14, 2011 8:37:45 AM

Best answer selected by Infrantic.
!