Crossfire 6950s Max Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyd79

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hi,

I just got my new rig 2 days ago with dual radeon 6950HD 2m GPU's.

Everything is working ok except I can't seem to adjust my screen resolution past 1920x1200.

I know the crossfired 6950s should surpass this resolution as the specs listed on their site say so.

Here's what I have done so far:
First, I swapped monitors (I know this older Dell Monitor is capable of greater resolutions because even my old 9800gtx pushed it further.)

Moved the monitor plug from 1 of the white female connectors to the other on the top GPU card - no difference.

Messed with everything I thought would help in the Catalyst Control Panel: Nothing.

Updated my Monitor's driver from the Win7 Generic to it's native driver: nope.

Tried using my old, but same type of cable - nada (the White DVI cable is what I think it is).

I spent all day yesterday trying to find a solution both here & online elsewhere.

Finally, here I am seeking your help for, hopefully, the last time this month ;)
Hopefully I am not missing anything obvious. (please tell me I'm Not supposed to use the vid port from the motherboard O,o (gigabyte z68, i5 2500k)

Any ideas on how to achieve better than a 1920x1200?

Solution
What model is the monitor are you using? Most high end monitors have a max resolution of 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. There are only a handful of monitors out there that offer higher resolution and they are pretty pricey.

Graphics cards typically have a max resolution of 2560x1600 in their specs. This just reflects the highest single monitor resolution available. Using multiple monitors you can exceed this, but it's all limited by what your monitor (or monitors) can display.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
What model is the monitor are you using? Most high end monitors have a max resolution of 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. There are only a handful of monitors out there that offer higher resolution and they are pretty pricey.

Graphics cards typically have a max resolution of 2560x1600 in their specs. This just reflects the highest single monitor resolution available. Using multiple monitors you can exceed this, but it's all limited by what your monitor (or monitors) can display.

Solution

rustyd79

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

I need a larger boot. I figure if I am going to kick myself in the head for this, it needs to be done with zeal [:henry chinaski:8] .

Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. Bit old, but still very good compared to the one I bought with my system (Asus VH242H) which will now be my wife's new monitor.
So, bottom line is that you are correct - 1920x1200 *is* the max resolution. I think the real issue is that things simply appear more cramped for some reason that I will eventually figure out.
I would say apologies for jumping the gun now, but after looking up everything online I could find on the matter (cept' what the max res really was :ouch: ) I think I endured a lot of needless reading prior to asking for help here yet again.

But as always - Thank you for your quick & accurate responses without laughing too hard (at least that I can hear!).

Status
Not open for further replies.