Wifi adapter dsl cable modem basic question

Nickolodeon

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi. I have a notebook with WiFi port and main computer which connects to the internet through dsl cable modem. I bought wireless usb adapter (dwa-125) and though I could share internet connection of my main computer through that adapter.
Now it seems to me that I am wrong. Adapters don't seem to be able to see each other. What are my options? Do i have to by some additional hardware?
I use Win7 as a desktop computer (XP is also available) and I have lenovo notebook which hosts Win7 as well.

I would buy a wireless router which will connect to the modem, and will allow to share the internet connection between the main computer and the laptop. in addition it will provide you with additional security by adding a firewall to your network.

Nickolodeon

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thank you for your reply. Does this mean I have to return my WiFi adapter and by router instead? What are the average prices for ok routers?

Nickolodeon

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Are there WiFi routers that have 2 lan ports: one would be for my dsl modem, the other for my desktop computer and the antenna would be for my laptop?

usually most routers have one WAN/Internet port and four LAN ports.

the WAN port connects to the modem, and the LAN ports are there to connect computers, network printers, or other network enabled devices.