Sign in with
Your question

What could be the problem if a dell laptop work with ac adapter but refuse to ch

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2012 3:52:35 PM

Hello,i bought a new dell AC adapter,it work for some minute but later not charging the battery,some if i shake the adapter it would charger but now its refuse to charge
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2012 3:58:27 PM

Check all connections from the wall outlet to the charging port at the back of the laptop. There is a way to see if the plug part of the power cord is defective but it involves using a multimeter/voltmeter. Is there a warranty on the AC adapter?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2012 7:07:07 PM

Hi

Is the Dell adapter a genuine Dell adapter, or a fake Dell adapter or one said to be suitable for a Dell laptop ?

It could be a fault with socket in the laptop including bad solder joint to motherboard (also common problem on HP laptops)

Is the adapter plug cylindrical (with extra internal pin) or triangular with 3 pins in laptop socket ?

regards

Mike Barnes

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2012 10:27:24 PM

If you ordered a cheap replacementoff like ebay then go ahead and try another one. The hassle you'll get trying to exchange this one isn't worth it. Its better to pay $20 bucks with $3 shipping for the psu as the $3 ones with $20 shipping dont care if they send you a good one or not. I literally got one that rattled in the envelope and they still wouldn't just send me another one free.. Had to pay shipping plus send the broken one back.
m
l
January 6, 2012 10:50:46 PM

If the wattage is too low, the Dells sometimes refuse to charge. You will see the charge light blink instead of staying a steady color. If I use a standard 90 watt unit on my m6400, which uses a 250 watt brick, it will work only now and then. Sometimes it blinks, other times it will charge and the laptop gives me a warning that the unit isn't charging properly and I need the proper one. Make sure the output matches the rating of the old unit.
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:35:12 AM

I bet you bought a very cheap adapter. Obviously your adapter output current and voltage is quite not stable. You should change it for a new one. Poor adapter will damage your laptop. My adapter is also a replace, named RAVPower. But it works fine. Suggest you try this.
m
l
March 12, 2012 5:51:32 PM

its not your charger, its the operating system. this is a problem with dell and windows 7, if you google it youll see the issue is very common. i had this problem and bought a $2 charger on amazon. that charger actually works fine, but the laptop only charges when booting off of a live fedora disk. the issue has to do with power managment systems in the windows 7 OS and its interaction with dell bios. for some reason these dont always get along. again this is a software issue NOT a charger or battery issue.
m
l
June 20, 2012 7:52:25 PM

Hi,

* Check for the battery, functionality and status in BIOS(Start your computer and start tapping F2.
* Check for the AC Adapter, functionality and status in BIOS.
* Check whether the battery Status is Enabled in Control Panel under Power Options.
* Check the Dell Battery Meter (will be available only if Quickset is installed) or just check the battery status in Control Panel under Power Options.
* Install / update Dell Quickset and flash the BIOS from support.dell.com (Minimum Req. : Battery Charged > 10% and Functional AC Adapter).
* Even after flashing BIOS if you still get the same error message please let us know.

Thanks,
Nimish

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community
m
l
!