Sign in with
Your question

No video output with graphics card

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2011 7:39:02 PM

I have a brand new pc that I just finished building. The first time I turn it on, the fans come on, cd tray opens, lights on mobo for ram light up, etc. but there is no display.

After trying a few different monitors and outputs, I try pulling things out. Finally, I figure out that my computer won't display video with the graphics card plugged in. My psu should be fine (corsair tx750 for a single gtx 570) and the system still comes on but no video.

I have not installed any drivers at all because I can't get video output. My system specs are:
i7 2600k; gigabyte gtx 570; gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, corsair tx750.

With the card removed, the system will display the mobo logo and things of that nature (no OS installed yet) but as soon as the card gets plugged in and restarted, no video. The PSU should be more than sufficient and everything has been seated and reseated correctly, just no video output.

Whats the problem and how do I fix it?
October 6, 2011 7:41:26 PM

Have you checked that your RAM is seated right? I had an issue where there was no video out from my GPU on an old build. When I re-seated the RAM it started working :/ 
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 7:43:41 PM

Use the onbaord video to install windows ,and the motherboard driver

Once the computer is stable then try adding the graphics card again
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 7:53:56 PM

@ Dark: I tried that but same problem.

@ Outlander: I was thinking that the i7's built in graphics engine might be causing some issues with the display so I'll try doing that first.

Thanks for the replies guys, will try it out and update.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 8:17:05 PM

What do you mean by "when the card gets plugged in" ? In the pci-e slot ?........... or when you plug in the auxiliary power in the back of the card/ or when you plug the DVI cable into the back of your card and NOT the motherboard ? If you can get in the BIOS you can tell it to point to the PEG or PCVI-E slot or select "auto or select "disable" to turn off on board vid.
m
l
September 15, 2012 3:10:46 PM

Hi, I had this exact problem a few days ago.

It turned out to be nothing wrong with the graphics card, I had to go into the BIOS (with card out) and enable "PCIe" in "first initialisation".
I also found that using the bottom connector worked 100% of the time but the top connector was temperamental.
Can only conclude that the pins which detect the monitor were loose as once I used a different VGA to DVI-D connector it worked perfectly.
Using a DVI-D monitor also worked, but strangely enough an HDMI to DVI-D didn't.

Might be worth checking for duff solder on the end eight pins on either side of each connector, this can sometimes cause the same fault.
I had another card with the same fault and resoldering it got things going again.

If all else fails, try checking the PCIe connector on the card AND motherboard for any signs of bent or misaligned pins.
Also worth a try, run the card in x4 of x1 mode if the BIOS supports it.

Turns out my power supply was also weak but changing it did make the system more stable during games.

-Andre
m
l
!