violatormike

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I want to upgrade my i5 750 cpu. I have £350-£400 to spend and I also will have to buy a mobo that supports the same chipset and also has sli. so far I found this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-P67-REV-3-0/dp/B004O9YB3A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and also this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i7-2600K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NOQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1325775013&sr=1-1 if anyone can give me some advice it would be of great help. I hope i haven't made any mistakes as this is my first post here! :)

violatormike

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

Ok Mike, what are you doing to be doing with this system? If you are planning this as a gaming system than go ahead and step down to the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K. The reason for this is that very few games can take advantage of more than 4 threads. Since the main difference between the Intel Core i5-2500K and hte Intel Core i7-2600K comes down to hyper-threading (which has very little value in the gaming world). You might as well save yourself the money and get the Intel Core i5-2500K.

Also make sure that the memory that you select is DDR 3 at 1.5v as the 2nd generation Intel Core processors can be damaged by using memory at 1.65v or higher.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

violatormike

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Mostly gaming but I want the most powerful intel cpu and mobo for money. I use alot of emulators like dolphin that rely alot on cpu and ram plus I love the game the witcher 2 which uses muiti threading. Also I think the rams ok I got 16gb of vengeance ddr3 ram. I know thats overkill I order 8gb but received 16gb lol.

Mike, there really are only a couple games that take advantage of anything more than 4 threads and they only get a persentage point or two for each additional core or thread that they can tap into. So unless you are doing a lot of digital encoding (i.e. video editing etc) you really should find that the Intel Core i5-2500K is the best option for a gaming system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team