Looking to build a new system with AMD parts :)

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Alright, so I've never built a computer before, but I can say that trying to play TES IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 isn't the most enjoyable experience when you're running a stock laptop with a singlecore processor you picked up at WalMart. Really, all I want is to be able to play most games on at least Medium settings, preferably high or even max, with a solid framerate of at least 30 without the constant freezes or jitters.

I managed to play through Mass Effect on this computer with a pretty decent framerate (to me, at least.) of around 25-30, with it sometimes dropping to 15 or so when things got intense. I really want to be able to play my games smoothly, even if I have to sacrifice graphics options, but I don't want to spend more than $500.

Furthermore, while the guides on the site are very well-detailed, I can't seem to get focused enough to read through them-- All the information confuses me and then I end up not wanting to be bothered, so, I'm asking the TH members for a little help getting started! :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Somewhere between October and November of this year.

Budget Range: in total, $500 or less, preferably less if I can pull it off.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: general gaming, browsing, music rendering (I use FL Studio to create and export music)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and ncix.com (or whatever gives me the most bang for my buck :p)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Preferably AMD parts because they tend to be cheaper, and I don't really want the best of the best. Just looking for something that runs better than my current machine and will last me several years.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: honestly, anything that runs better than a 2.2GHz single-core processor with a bad integrated Radeon Mobile series card would make me happy.

A list of parts my friend and I have put together that seems pretty cost effective:

AMD Phenom ii x4 3.7Ghz

Ati Radeon 6850 (1GB)

6GB Ram (x2 3GB sticks) if it'd help I'm willing to upgrade to 8GB

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (650w PSU) -- Willing to go lower if it doesn't lower performance or longevity.

We have yet to find a motherboard on which to base how many pins everything will use and such. But if it's at all possible I would really prefer to be able to run my system (without frying it of course) in a small form factor case such as this one: Thermaltake ARMOR A30 VM70001W2Z Black SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

So there's a general idea, if we can lower our specs to lower the cost, that would be fantastic :)

Thank you all in advance!

-Kioh

g-unit1111

Titan
Well here's what I'd recommend - with those parts, there's no way you could pull off that build for $500, especially if you're building from scratch at the very minimum it'd be at least $750 but that's still pretty excellent. Also you cant do 6GB on a Phenom II system with a triple-channel memory configuration, the only platform capable of that is Intel X58, and even then triple channel RAM is getting increasingly hard to come by.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 - $69.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - $159.99
CPU: 2.80 GHz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - $149.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $28.99
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston Hyper X PC 1333MHz RAM - $42.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $59.99
Optical: Lite-On 24X DVD Burner - $18.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB - $179.99
Monitor: Acer G251H 22" Full 1080p HD Monitor - $129.99

Total: $986.00

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

That sounds great and all, but I don't really want a Phenom II X6. I'm happy with X4 which is why I listed it. I don't need a CD/DVD Drive or burner, I don't need a monitor, and I'd really like to stick with the processor I listed because it costs around the same amount, has a higher clock speed and I REALLY am not looking for six cores. Way too much for me. Could you please give me a build that closer suits what I'm looking for? Thanks again and sorry for the hassle.

Also, just to further prove my point that I don't want (or need) to spend $750-$1000, take a look at this link: Kingston Genesis Blue/Phenom II X4 965 SuperCombo

g-unit1111

Titan
Number of cores aside, the simple fact is the more the better - a six-core CPU most of the time will outperform a quad or dual core - and keep in mind that the new AMD Bulldozer/FX series of CPUs (which the 990FX chipset is capable of supporting) is going to have minimum 8 cores. It is true that most games right now don't use more than two or three but things will change quick, and you'll definitely want to be ready for it. This is pretty much the same thing except with an X4 instead of an X6.

Case: Antec 300 Illusion - $69.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 - $69.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - $159.99
CPU: 3.20GHz AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $114.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $28.99
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston Hyper X PC 1333MHz RAM - $42.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $59.99
Optical: Lite-On 24X DVD Burner - $18.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB - $179.99
Monitor: Acer G251H 22" Full 1080p HD Monitor - $129.99

Total: $961.00

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Sounds like a prime idea. By "pile on" I assume you mean put the combo (minus the motherboard obviously :D)into that mobo and maybe in a HAF case?

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
-phenom ii x3 720 - 80 bucks
i would try to help more but i get offa work in 4 minutes soooo, but the x3 720 is beast, i know you said no overclocking but i have mine unlocked to a quad core running at 3.6 ghz on a 30 dollar cooler - 100 badass cpu

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
8 gigs of ddr3 should only run you like 60 bucks
find a decent motherboard - asus sabertooth am3+ suggested because bulldozer is just around the bend
and a 6870 for around 200 bucks and youll be set
rough, quick math brings you right around 500 bucks, screw a case set it on cardboard... seriously my first build ran like that for months lol

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
For those suggesting a 6-core processor, the 4-core processor is just as good for gaming and cheaper and a faster clock.

You only need a 500W PSU, and a quality PSU like Corsair will work great even near full load.

All prices from newegg

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $105 (deal ends tonight on newegg)
GPU - XFX HD-687A-ZHFC - $170 - $17 combo with CPU and there is a $20 rebate (so, $133) XFX has a lifetime warranty
RAM - 2x2GB DDR3-1333 Cas 9 1.5V whatever is on sale - $25
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ - $81 after rebate
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 - $50 after rebate
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z - $30 after instant and mail in rebates (ends 10/10)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB - $45
DVD: LG DVD burner (or whatever) - $20

Total - $464

I don't think I forgot anything, but you still need an OS which will run you $100 for OEM windows 7

If you need to save some money you might be able to find a cheaper 6850, but the combo + discount + rebate makes the 6870 really cheap. I almost think you'd have to go down to a 6790 to get cheaper. The 6790 should be sufficient for your resolution, but if you get a 6870 it'll last longer or allow you to upgrade the monitor.

g-unit1111

Titan

Why not go AMD A8 and cut out the video card? You'd save a good $200 on that build, and if you wanted to get a second 6670 once you get the build up and running, you could run it in Crossfire and get pretty decent performance.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
The A8 can play WoW on medium settings with around 40fps. It is a good chip for people on an extremely tight budget and a limited number of games they would like to play. Personally I'd never buy one except for an use in an HTPC.

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I like your idea a lot, but why GIGABYTE? I really dislike that company because last time I purchased two of their laptop cooling pads with "dual-fans", one for me and one for my sister, and they didn't do anything except get in the way. my pc stayed cooler being raised by two pieces of wood and like half an inch of space between it and the desk lol...

I thought I might mention, too, that I was looking at reviews of that motherboard and it just... doesn't sound too promising if I want to upgrade at some point.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Gigabyte may make crappy accessories, but they make great motherboards. I've never considered any of their other products, but I'll always consider their motherboards.

The main reason for the gigabyte is because there aren't a lot of choices for mATX motherboards that are AM3+. It is one of the few boards on newegg that has a good rating, and it also has a rebate which makes it an attractive price. While I also like ASRock, their mATX board had really bad reviews and ASUS tends to charge for name brand. That left Gigabyte as the only option. Now, maybe there are other boards out there, but I only checked newegg.

EDIT: if you don't mind leaving the mATX form factor it might be possible to find another brand motherboard that has a good feature set and is a quality product.

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Comparing the quality of their laptop coolers that they aren't famous for making, to the rest of their products....

Gigabyte makes godly motherboards/gpus so I don't see how you can compare them to a cheap laptop cooler...

>Implying I didn't state that I'm not very knowledgeable with building computers and the like in my first post.

The only products of theirs I have ever seen or known about (up until today) are their cheap-o cooling pads and gamepads and things of that nature in Radioshack, so, I didn't know that they're a good manufacturer of mobos

If you suggest Gigabyte then I suppose I could give it a try, I'm REALLY looking for Mini-ITX if at all possible but I'm assuming even with the case I have on the top page I probably wouldn't get enough airflow and my system would run too hot, or I might not have enough space to put all my parts though in the comments they say it's built to fit a video card

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

mini ITX is smaller than micro ATX. I listed you a micro ATX build and micro ATX is what you originally asked for. I'm assuming that since you haven't built a PC before you just got the two mixed up.

I wouldn't go mini ITX unless you are making a very tiny HTPC or a small file server. mini ITX typically can't handle CPUs with a high thermal output, and they typically are lacking a lot of useful features. It also tends to cost more for the same thing you'd get in a slightly larger form factor. I have one mini ITX board and it is super tiny, but it is a file/backup server and works great for those purposes (it is also a Gigabyte). My micro ATX is my HTPC and is really tiny compared to my ATX setup which is my main PC.

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Oh, shoot! I'm sorry haha, I wasn't paying attention. I searched for "mini-ITX" and the case I originally posted came up and I thought it looked pretty nice, i didn't realize it was a micro-atx and not mini-ITX. Yeah, disregard the mini-ITX comment :p Would that case I listed up top work fine? :)

^
and now you want to game with a mini-itx board.?
you just don't know what you want do you.?

jokingly stated..

Haha, totally.

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
you really want a 990XA chipset, nothing less than the 970X chipset.
the top is the 990FX chipset.
the 990XA and FX are mainly for gamers who run SLi or CFX.
970X chipsets are for the slightly less gamers.

According to google... 970X is intel i7? Going strictly off google here. If it is, then.. That doesn't help me. I'm going AMD and not Intel. If it's not.. Please correct me :)

Also I don't plan on using crossfire or SLi at all. I'm pretty happy just having 1 GPU :)

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
out of those two RAM choices the Kingston Hyper X is better, way better..!!
as for the motherboard, are you planning on SLi one day and how much do you have just for the board itself.?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128510
this is the overall people's choice winner.
the XA is the board before the FX and runs duals @ x8/x8 and x16 for single card.
it's out of stock but there the same price at tiger and amazon.
I bought mine through amazon..

Regarding the RAM, I figured as much. It just... Looks better. Though that may be my affinity with nice blue things. No, I don't plan on SLi in the future, and my budget is for all the parts as a whole rather than for each part individually :)

And regarding the Micro-ATX thing, it isn't a huge deal, I just don't want a large tower, I think the case I started with initially is nice because I could easily place it on the side of my desk and access everything while sitting rather than having to stand up and fiddle with it.

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
motherboard you selected is fine then, my bad..

Hey, no problem! I appreciate all the help I can get! :) So, we're looking at this so far

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $119

GPU - XFX HD-687A-ZHFC - $170 - $17 combo with CPU and there is a $20 rebate (so, $133) XFX has a lifetime warranty

RAM - 2x2GB DDR3-1333 Cas 9 1.5V Kingston Hyper-X - $40

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ - $81 after rebate

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 - $50 after rebate

Case: Thermaltake ARMOR A30 VM70001W2Z Black SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case (A lot more expensive than the one nordlead suggested, but the shape better fits my desk layout.)

HDD: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB - $45

Total is $685.92, I can reduce it if I just get a different case...

Kioh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
bro, which either one works for you then it works for me.
I agree with both mock-ups..
if a bigger case and the 970 or 990 board then I suggest the Antec 300 Illusion case..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Hey, matter of fact, could you help me look around for cases similar to the one I posted? I really want one like that but $119 for a case is a lot!

Also, that's a nice case :) But just using the one nordlead posted (and using your mobo) I'm at $624, with my micro-atx i had $610 (not that big of a difference but still :p)